mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out for a short hunt Friday afternoon and found a beautiful 1908-S Barber dime. Normally I wouldn't start a thread for a coin like this but the condition is just so remarkable I have to share.
Also found on the hunt were two wheats, a 1926 Buffalo and a token "Good for 5 cents in trade" with a Star of David punched out of the center.

1908-S Barber Obv.jpg 1908-S Barber Rev.jpg

Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Upvote 2
That is striking!
Well done!

Wow thats clean! Nice find! I have never found a barber anything yet.

Very nice old barber :thumbsup: I've found a couple like that, my favorite is a 1907D that is about the same condition :)

They musta dropped that thing the Day it was minted! Awesome find.....HH

That is one SWEET looking Barber dime......excellent find!
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Very Nice Barber!
I got a beautiful fyoi 1892, it is my best condition US Silver and it came with a lyoi 1891 Seated :occasion14:
I would really like to see your 'star' token, I have a star punched token I can't read and would like to compare.

Please put up a pic of your token:hello:
Thanks & HH! Herbie.

Very Nice Barber!
I got a beautiful fyoi 1892, it is my best condition US Silver and it came with a lyoi 1891 Seated :occasion14:
I would really like to see your 'star' token, I have a star punched token I can't read and would like to compare.

Please put up a pic of your token:hello:
Thanks & HH! Herbie.

Herbie,
Here is a photo of the rest of that hunt's finds including the token. This is a six pointed star. I cannot find any others like it although I have seen some 5 pointed stars punched out of tokens. The ones I saw were used in very old slot machines where a customer would put in money with a chance to win tokens good for trade. Because they did not pay cash they flew under the radar of gambling laws.
The front says "Good for 5 (cents) in trade" with the cents symbol. On the reverse the only thing I can make out is a "25."
Peacock 1908 Barbertoken.JPG

Beautiful Barber dime.

My best Barber is an 1892O that I found 11.5 inches deep on a college campust. It came out with a black crust, but after gentle work to remove the black, it will grade AU with environmental damage. Somebody lost a couple of meals when they lost it. If my avatar has ever shown back up, that is it.

1892 Barber Obverse.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Larry,
That is an unusual token, and great info you gave on the 'punched' tokens,

Mine is a 5 pointed star, appears to be a nickel alloy (saltwater recovery)

not much hope of Id'ing unless I saw an identical...

Thanks for putting up the pic for me! HH to you, Herbie.

Attachments

• NH FINDS 06-17 013.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-17 013.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 85
  • NH FINDS 06-17 014.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-17 014.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 92
The Barber is a beautiful coin and the post was well justified. Congrats on the nice find !!

Mike: It came from a gopher pile in Golden Gate Park! Easy target clear as day!

Hey Larry, There is a guy who has been hunting Golden Gate Park for over 30 years, you may have run into him? His name is Mike W. He is an older tall guy about 70 years old. Two weeks ago he dug up a 1916-D merc dime! Last week he eyeballed a 1921-D merc dime on top of a gopher mound! Both dimes were in GGP and both were XF+ in condition. True story! I heard about it at our Santa Rosa club meeting last week. I guess lightning can strike twice!

Hey Larry, There is a guy who has been hunting Golden Gate Park for over 30 years, you may have run into him? His name is Mike W. He is an older tall guy about 70 years old. Two weeks ago he dug up a 1916-D merc dime! Last week he eyeballed a 1921-D merc dime on top of a gopher mound! Both dimes were in GGP and both were XF+ in condition. True story! I heard about it at our Santa Rosa club meeting last week. I guess lightning can strike twice!

Yes, I have met Mike W. and hunted with him one time. He is a legend around these parts. I think he has buckets of silver at home.

Great one I too have a really nice barber dime a 1903 O, it was dug at a 100 year old house. The lady had pictures of the place from way back old ford T's are sitting about where I dug this one.

Also I have dug some with the black coating you mentioned, its pretty tuff to get off.

Congrats

DSC_0928.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back