***MUSKET LOCK FOUND***gun experts or enthisiests opinions, how old is it

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say this find is from today, but i did find it at at a settlers log house cellar hole back in 2009, the cellar is probably from the 1830s -1850s and still has one remaining dovetail corner notch on the ground confirming it was once a log house, I even fond the tin chimney cap located on the peak but now at the bottom of the cellar, showing it had a 45 degree pitch roof, this musket lock was located about 40 ft away from the caller hole and was about 3 inches deep i did some research about muskets and confirmed it was a back action lock and has a percussion cap hammer those started in the early 1800s, even know the lock has much of the original blueish grey gun surface remaining i can't find any stamps or numbers on it anywhere, but i did find some fancy sun beam style engraving on the hammer pull back knob and some possible signs of fancy engravings on the side of the hammer. I looked for remaining parts of the gun but found none maybe the lock broke and they simply thew it away because the hammer shows signs of serious usage because a large chunk is missing from the area where the hammers impacts. since this was probably one of the first settlers houses it would be fascinating to find out if it was as old or older then the site and came with the settler from Ireland, Scotland or England because people were flocking to this area at the time.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
It's a back action lock, probably off of a shotgun. If the gun was a double barrel, the lock would be for the right hand side. There were some rifles made with back action locks, but they are more common on a shotgun. It looks like it's for a cap lock, and my guess would be mid to late 1800's. There are also back action locks on early cartridge shot guns, but yours looks to be cap lock. Is there a cup on the face of the hammer. That would prove that it's a cap lock. A flat face means it was intended to hit the firing pin. Good find.

I'm adding some photo's. The back action lock was in some use during the flintlock era, but the cap lock like your find was patented by George Lovell, 1835-36. Here is a flint lock back action.back action flint.jpg And here is a back action on a rifle.back action rifle.jpg Here is a back action shotgun. back action gun.jpg And finally a back action double cartridge shotgun. back action cartridge.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no good at guns, but my guess was going to be about 1840-50.

Whatever the date, its in great condition & pretty much complete!

thank you for the helpful information, and yes the hammer has a cupped face, so it's a cap lock shot gun from roughly the mid 1800s, thanks

I'll tell ya who may be able to help is Kuger. Send him a PM. He digs a lot of pre-CW gun parts.

GREAT find there!

Cheers,

Buck

Bosn nailed what I was going to say....and then some!!! :icon_thumright:

Yup, as stated typical back action lock, could be shotgun or rifle, both were pretty common, definitely not a musket though. Gun parts are always great finds, congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back