Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I compared this with images from the Brown Bess page, cant seem to find exact match, but seems so similar to several pieces shown,
any thoughts appreciated, :thumbsup: 20160612_080015.jpg20160612_080032.jpg

looks like a drop pull to me, but I really don't have a clue as to time frame. what do the other finds at this site date to?

Upvote 0
looks like a drop pull to me, but I really don't have a clue as to time frame. what do the other finds at this site date to?

Looks like some wear on the backside.

Upvote 0
Looks like some wear on the backside.

I can't tell if the hole is round, but if so, it could be a swinging key hole cover from an antique door. I saw one recently on Stealth Diggers video that looked like that. They dug one, and then they saw/showed one on a door in a old restored building they visited. I never knew they existed before that.

Upvote 0
Herbie - that's an early piece of brass furniture hardware known as a teardrop handle, and they generally date from the late 1600s to early 1700s per Hume. Should be some other oldies nearby.

Upvote 0
Thanks all I don't think I hunt any sites that don't have some history back to First colonization just because of the area that I live I had doubts because of no attachment point at the other end which would preclude securing to a firearm considering the shock involved butt the phallic shape which seems to be included on so many early muskets and it crude casting made me thinking it may be thanks all green check here

Upvote 0
Herbie - that's an early piece of brass furniture hardware known as a teardrop handle, and they generally date from the late 1600s to early 1700s per Hume. Should be some other oldies nearby.

Thanks all I don't think I hunt any sites that don't have some history back to First colonization just because of the area that I live I had doubts because of no attachment point at the other end which would preclude securing to a firearm considering the shock involved butt the phallic shape which seems to be included on so many early muskets and it crude casting made me thinking it may be thanks all green check here

Hi guys....I did not feel up to searching the last few Stealth Digger videos to find the "key hole cover" they showed....so I did a web search.

Here is a pic I just found from the UK I think. It sure looks like a 100% perfect match. Stealth Diggers is also from New Hampshire like the original poster is, and suppose English castings would be used in early times in NH ?

Like I said, I never knew this style of keyhole cover existed until I saw the video about 2-3 weeks ago. They do a new video each Thursday, so it was a recent find for them. They dug one, perhaps others, then spotted one on a restored old building interior door, and took vids of it.

Here is the website for that pic, it is halfway down the page of artifacts. Pretty cool things to look at on that page.
Pan and Scan - Artifacts Page

Attachments

• artifact_39_S.jpg
    artifact_39_S.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back