Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this musket ball (?) this afternoon.

It is not perfectly round in the sense that there are flat spots all over it (otherwise is round). It is very heavy. I do not currently have a way to measure it properly. Clad nickle and dime are for sizing. it is about 3/4 of an inch long (when resting on the desk) 3/4 inch high. it is not magnetic.

I dug it in an urban area where I normally find clad change and stuff that looks like the area may have been a car garage or mechanic shop of some type. However, this entire area is littered with civil war artifacts. bullets and musket balls could be anywhere you dig.

any ideas, hypotheses, and informed speculations are WELCOME! Feel free to chime in! :icon_scratch:

musketball1.jpgmusketball2.jpg

PIC BELOW: Musket ball (?) is center. The other balls I dug this month on separate digs. the bullet is still yet to be ID'd for sure. Wanted to include for sizing purposes on the musket ball (?). The 3 rounds balls are either case-shot or pistol shot, still to be determined. Chime in on any of these...

fings-balls.jpg

I did find this information online that may explain the flat spots?:

"Musket balls have been excavated at Monmouth with shallow circular depressions as shown in Figure 5. Again based on the personal experiences of the author in firing black powder flintlock muskets, this appears to be ramrod marks. Even though a ball may be sitting loosely in the breach of a musket, you still ram it several times to compact the powder. If the ball is loose, it will rotate slightly with each strike. This ball has three blows from a ramrod."

Last edited:
I think its a rock but I am not an expert in any sense of the word. I have found several that look just like it around here and they are just rocks.

Upvote 0
I think its a rock but I am not an expert in any sense of the word. I have found several that look just like it around here and they are just rocks.

no, for sure not a rock. far too heavy for the size to be a rock. rings up from 76 to 80 on the at pro. definitely NOT a rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could be a .69 caliber ball or .72

Upvote 0
Could be a .69 caliber ball or .72

what do you think about all the flat spots on it? i could take better pics, but if you click the ones i posted, you see a lot of detail.

Upvote 0
It's hard to say. I've got bullets with holes, flat spots, cuts pretty much anything you could imagine. They were in the ground over 150 years so anything could have happened to them in that time. It's either that or someone melted down some bullets and made them one giant round ball. I'm thinking a smooth bore round ball either a .69 or .72 but would have to get dimensions in mm

Upvote 0
It's hard to say. I've got bullets with holes, flat spots, cuts pretty much anything you could imagine. They were in the ground over 150 years so anything could have happened to them in that time. It's either that or someone melted down some bullets and made them one giant round ball. I'm thinking a smooth bore round ball either a .69 or .72 but would have to get dimensions in mm

i am going to see if i can get it weighed tomorrow in one of the labs at work. maybe get it measured there also. it is def heavy, not a rock. u can tell the thing has serious weight to it.

Upvote 0
Yea I can tell. I have one about that size but it was smashed pretty dang hard against something.

Upvote 0
Yea I can tell. I have one about that size but it was smashed pretty dang hard against something.

it did not have white patina on it that i saw. mostly was dirty and muddy, so i wiped it off. have a growing collection of stuff that i am not sure what it is. lol

Upvote 0
it did not have white patina on it that i saw. mostly was dirty and muddy, so i wiped it off. have a growing collection of stuff that i am not sure what it is. lol

A lot of people say if it's not white it's not right but I have a bunch that are a chocolate brown to even a tan color. Matter of fact I was just looking at a .58 and .69 minie ball I have and they are that same color as yours

Upvote 0
A lot of people say if it's not white it's not right but I have a bunch that are a chocolate brown to even a tan color. Matter of fact I was just looking at a .58 and .69 minie ball I have and they are that same color as yours

this def is a sort of choc brown to tan. cant think of anything else it would be. i found a great spot there. lots of iron signals. was an old garage or something. found a 1936 wheat there today and a 1940 the other day. its a pretty area in front of a school now, tons of shade trees. but u can tell when you detect it, something else was there some time ago.

Upvote 0
Looks a lot like the one i found think it as around .69-.72 cal but it was pulled

Upvote 0
Looks a lot like the one i found think it as around .69-.72 cal but it was pulled

no patina on this thing, was dirty as hell and i wiped it off. u think it is a musket ball? i am not sure. heavy as hell, not sure what else it could be. what weapon would shoot this thing? i am def no arms or munitions expert.

Upvote 0
That is very cool!

thanks man. not sure why, but i always have to dig mysteries. nothing straight forward. lol. oh well, keeps things exciting and i learn more also.

Upvote 0
Some of the colonial grapeshot were made of lead. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

almost forgot, what you mean by "it was pulled"?

Upvote 0
no patina on this thing, was dirty as hell and i wiped it off. u think it is a musket ball? i am not sure. heavy as hell, not sure what else it could be. what weapon would shoot this thing? i am def no arms or munitions expert.

A smooth bore long rifle.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Some of the colonial grapeshot were made of lead. Just a thought.

been looking into that also. def an open page right now. all hypotheses are welcome. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back