Musket Ball. Battle Of Brooklyn (Revolutionary War). Please help with id/info...

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Musket Ball. Please help with id/info...

HI,

I found this recently in a wooded area in Brooklyn NY at about 5 inches. This is my first find of this type and I have no idea if it is authentic or not. It measures, with a caliper, between 0.625 - 0.630. It weighs 347 grains.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Todd

mball_3.jpgmball_2.jpgmball_1.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't even know there are woods in Brooklyn ill see if I can help

Dig until your arm falls off

Upvote 0
Well it looks like a round ball weather or not its from the rev war however you will more than likely never know

Dig until your arm falls off

Upvote 0
.62 caliber is a tad small for Revolutionary muskets, and a tad large for Kentucky long rifle. Possibly a Jager, which was a large bore rifle first used in Germany, but I don't know if any Jager rifles were .62 caliber. Can you see any indication that the ball has been cast, like a mold line, or the remains of where a spru was cut off? I did a little research, and Jager rifles bore wasn't standardized until 1810, when the German military standardized the bore at .58 caliber. So there Jager rifle units with the German troops that fought in the Revolution, and it would be possible one or more of their rifles were .62 caliber. The thing you need to do now is research to find out if there was a German unit in the neighborhood where you found the ball. Also, if there is no indication of the ball being cast, then I'd doubt the chance of it being from the Revolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Updated measurements:
It measures, with a caliper, between 0.625 - 0.630. It weighs 347 grains.

Upvote 0
Really hard to identify and put a date on a lead ball. You could continue to work the site and see what else comes out of the ground like buttons or buckles. Something that could be dated. Then you may be able to place the ball in the same period as the dated finds. I would run wide open and dig every signal.

-Swartzie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back