Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 639
  • bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0
I don't know why I think this but the one on the left looks like a bee hive to me.................I know that doesn't answer ur question but if you read my responses I never really do..............

SEMPER FI :sunny:

Mult-rings are not very rare, just rare in a lot of places, if that makes since. Here in Missouri we find them quit often, and I can honestly say I have found a lot more multi-rings of various calibers than I have Spencers. Having said that, most believe they were manufactured by the St. Louis arsenal. I know the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry had them here in Missouri. There is also a large number found in Northern Mississippi. The rarest are the larger calibers. Hope this helps.

mobrigade said:
Mult-rings are not very rare, just rare in a lot of places, if that makes since. Here in Missouri we find them quit often, and I can honestly say I have found a lot more multi-rings of various calibers than I have Spencers. Having said that, most believe they were manufactured by the St. Louis arsenal. I know the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry had them here in Missouri. There is also a large number found in Northern Mississippi. The rarest are the larger calibers. Hope this helps.

I think "rare" depends on location--but in terms of price, the multi-rings are one of the more desirable bullets! So it's nice that you two are in places you can recover them. Nice finds!

-Buckleboy

The one on the left looks like the .52 cal sharps ring tail from what I have heard they where made in the Richmond arsenal I have found 2 in a known Confederate camp the other looks like the .44 cal sharps and I think that is confederate as well.

I found one just like the yours shown on the left...stumbled across it last week while rockhounding not far from my house in Lawrence, Kansas...had NO CLUE what it was until just last night! My son (age 17 & very smart) gets all the credit because he's the one who realized it could be an old bullet which roused my curiosity enough to start some online research.

Because I found this bullet in newly disturbed ground 1 mile from Quantrill's trail & also within a couple of miles from a well-known underground railroad stopping place, I'm eager to learn more. I wonder if some connection exists & if such things can be determined or not.

Questions I've come up with:

Was this bullet exclusive to Union or Confederate use? There's conflicting info on various websites...ugh!

Was this bullet military issue or in general circulation for the civilian population?

Was this bullet common in Kansas?

What range of circumstances would this bullet likely have been fired under in the Lawrence, KS area, i.e., hunting, target practice, law enforcement, illegal activity, border disputes or other war related events, etc.?

How long was this bullet in use?

Can the bullet be dated to any degree more specific within the overall period of manufacture?

Is there a ballistic databank or something similar that can match this bullet to the gun which fired it?

What other questions should I be asking & who should I be directing them to?

Looking forward to discovering answers in the days ahead & sure hoping to borrow a decent metal detector to see if there's other items of interest in my rock hunting spot!!!

Thanks & Regards
JK

Here in Va the multi ring sharps is pretty rare,but we do find a few ringtail sharps.I still think that they are very nice finds.Keep up the good work and keep bring the pics of your finds.

fortbball9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back