naclh2o

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2008
Hilo Hawaii-Quemado NM

Attachments

• taos shot.jpg
    taos shot.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 614
Hello, and welcome to Mugs! That is a great picture. Looking forward to seeing some of your finds!

Hello, I'm new to but welcome anyway. Has Q. gotten any bigger, I spent some time in Fence Lake years ago. The whole region there is great for artifacts. My uncle also just moved to Q. a couple of years ago and built a nice little home there.

Welcome to Mugs! I took my first metal detecting vacation to Los Cerrillos, NM. It has been a while, but I lived out of my car for 2 weeks. I suppose a cabin would be much nicer to stay in than a vehicle. Found an Aladdin's Castle token from the early days when they produced all the old slot machines in Las Vegas. Todd at the Turquoise Museum, friendly guy he was, got me to donate it to the museum. Happy Hunting! :icon_sunny:

Hi here are a couple of finds ive made over the years.The first is a Chumash bowl i found off the coast of Avila bay in Calif. and the second is some shards and arrowheads we found around our property in NM.Aloha Dave

Attachments

• chumash pot and container3.JPG
    chumash pot and container3.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 407
  • chumash pot and container5.JPG
    chumash pot and container5.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 424
If you swing back to the east of Q. a few miles you'll start noticing some sandstone outcrops and ridges. Get into the hills w/ heavier tree lines and you will find lots of old watering holes. These are natural ones, not from the ranchers. Up from them you can find the remains of the old Indian villages and the dump hills off the side of them. Lots of areas there where they threw their pottery after some mishap. Unfortunately alot burial sites too under the stone hills. It's a shame those aren't protected w/ Zuni and Gallup being so close. Watch out for the rattlers though, I used to hunt the dens in the sandstone many years ago for their skins now I just relocate them.

Hey thanks for the reply and the information what an incredible area full of history my girlfriend and I bought property out there 3 years ago so we try to get there at least 2months out of the year and eventually longer the people are fantastic and colorful im sure youve met Grover at the store and maybe the Hudsons great people.I believe that alot of the area has not been detected I really plan on doing a lot more exploring than I have already.Once again thanks for the info. Aloha Dave Seawater

Well Dave, I think I would have an ear to ear grin if I had just finished a cabin and was settling in to do some serious guitar pickin'!

What's up?

Best
rmptr

Hi Caver Once again thanks for the reply i was wondering when you said east of Q you mean towards Pietown and on which side of the road right or left? just want to make sure on the directions.By the way they have a drive thru Bank and soon a mini mart and the Largo built a new motel Quemado is booming thanks Caver for the info.Dave

rmptr said:
Well Dave, I think I would have an ear to ear grin if I had just finished a cabin and was settling in to do some serious guitar pickin'!

What's up?

Best
rmptr

[/
I hope imdoin this right imsmilin ear to ear bigtime.And just like Alfred i say What me worry? thanks for the post and welcome Aloha Davequote]

Pepper2004 said:
Hello, and welcome to Mugs! That is a great picture. Looking forward to seeing some of your finds!
Hi Pepper thanks for the warm welcome ive posted a couple of things ive found over the years and also heres a photo of our cabin in NM near Quemado we can see for about 80 miles from our hilltop.Aloha Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 357
Hey Daveon that question you'll want to head towards Fence Lake (left side), but another area is that little rd. coming from Grants the back way. Huge line of cliffs right off the roadway where a lot of wagon trains rested and put up for awhile, now it's just cows.

Looks great Dave!

Not too big, not too small. Juust right! ;D

...I really like fascia boards on rafter tails... makes roof much stronger.
...and I'd HAVE to go with some kinda handrail to keep from stepping off that deck! Yow!

Best
rmptr

WelcomeSign2.gif Dave! Great pic of ya! Love the pottery shards and your cabin. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your finds. Good luck & happy hunting.

:wink: RR

Attachments

• WelcomeSign2.gif
    WelcomeSign2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 213

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back