Movie theater arcade token

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Hunting artifact scatters and dumping spots never fails to yield at least a little something.
It's a Cinemark movie token, "vintage" or so my searches say but I doubt this meets the technical definition of vintage. Based on my searches this one is from Plano Texas which puts it a long way from it's origin considering where I found it. I'm not sure what year or decade this is from, if any of you would care to take a shot at the date please do!

Attachments

• IMG_20240618_205956277~2.jpg
    IMG_20240618_205956277~2.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240618_210004489~2.jpg
    IMG_20240618_210004489~2.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 7
It is probably from the late 1980's as thats when Cinemark came into play, to 2000's. They were redeemable for popcorn, snacks and other items. Neat find.

It is probably from the late 1980's as thats when Cinemark came into play, to 2000's. They were redeemable for popcorn, snacks and other items. Neat find.
Yeah, you're probably right. It does have a mint mark which I find kinda interesting: HM. Stands for Hoffman mint, I suppose it might be possible to figure out the precise time period of mintage by using that information but 80s-90s is probably a safe bet. There's another version of this token with a girl cat on it instead and based on my girlfriend's comments she recognized them both. She's always lived here so my guess is that the tokens probably got circulated around, possibly en masse, would explain how Plano Texas came to where I am. We've had Cinemark here since the 80s.

Nice find congratulations

Fun token, but I think it’s probably modern. Cinemark Holdings, Inc. was founded in 1984 but with the trademark stylized as ‘CineMark’ from 1998 to 2022 and then in all capitals since 2022. Although headquartered in Lano, Texas, these tokens have been used in hundreds of cinemas across the US and Latin America.

The anthropomorphic cat is ‘Front Row Joe’, developed as an animated mascot and promotional character for policy trailers and advertisements until he was retired in 1998 (returning between 2004-2009 and then re-appearing in 2019). He no longer appears in policy trailers, but is still used for promotional advertisements and special events.

The mintmark ‘HM’ on the non-feline side is for the ‘Hoffman Mint’ of Fort Lauderdale, Florida who were previously known as ‘Hoffman & Hoffman’, using the mintmark ‘HH’ until 1999.

Fun token, but I think it’s probably modern. Cinemark Holdings, Inc. was founded in 1984 but with the trademark stylized as ‘CineMark’ from 1998 to 2022 and then in all capitals since 2022. Although headquartered in Lano, Texas, these tokens have been used in hundreds of cinemas across the US and Latin America.

The anthropomorphic cat is ‘Front Row Joe’, developed as an animated mascot and promotional character for policy trailers and advertisements until he was retired in 1998 (returning between 2004-2009 and then re-appearing in 2019). He no longer appears in policy trailers, but is still used for promotional advertisements and special events.

The mintmark ‘HM’ on the non-feline side is for the ‘Hoffman Mint’ of Fort Lauderdale, Florida who were previously known as ‘Hoffman & Hoffman’, using the mintmark ‘HH’ until 1999.
I was just about to post that information but ya beat me to it.

Hunting artifact scatters and dumping spots never fails to yield at least a little something.
It's a Cinemark movie token, "vintage" or so my searches say but I doubt this meets the technical definition of vintage. Based on my searches this one is from Plano Texas which puts it a long way from it's origin considering where I found it. I'm not sure what year or decade this is from, if any of you would care to take a shot at the date please do!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back