Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20151129_094053_edit.jpg
    IMG_20151129_094053_edit.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 99
a simple guess would be a prayor coin.old ones often pewter and the small print on back is 1st to go over time.Any chance of once small lettering on reverse?would prolly require VERY close examination.again,a simple guess

Upvote 0
Might be a common scene, and probably a medal. There's just so many of them dating over a long stretch of years... literally hundreds.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is mourning jewelry. Mourning jewelry was most popular during the Victorian times. Death was never so celebrated as during Queen Victoria's rule. Your find looks way older than the mid-1800s-1890s.
Interesting find :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it is mourning jewelry. Mourning jewelry was most popular during the Victorian times. Death was never so celebrated as during Queen Victoria's rule. Your find looks way older than the mid-1800s-1890s.
Interesting find :)
Breezie

I agree...I've been trying to put a date on the medallion but no luck so far...

Upvote 0
I think bigfoot1 might have been on the right track. It looks quite a bit like an early depiction of the Annunciation scene. If so, the figures would be the Virgin Mary and Gabriel on either side of a tall potted lily. One of my references shows similar imagery on pewter medieval pilgrim badges dating from the early 14th to the early 16th century.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back