Motorcycle buffs. What is this shifting lever for?

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010

Attachments

• DSC03914.JPG
    DSC03914.JPG
    700.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC03915.JPG
    DSC03915.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC03916.JPG
    DSC03916.JPG
    695.7 KB · Views: 79
How long is the lever?
Do you have reason to believe that it's from a motorcycle? It would seem to be short for something similar to the old Harley suicide shifters. And the cam lobe it moves (if I'm seeing it right) makes me think it's a hydraulic controller, which wouldn't be from a motorcycle (as far as I know).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indian "jockey shifter" by the looks of it. aka "Suicide shifter" or Jockey shift with suicide clutch. I think it was also an after-market for other brands

341g.jpg

Upvote 0
It's not a gear shifter. The taper on the cam tells me it's and in/out lever like a clutch or vari speed.

Upvote 0
I got this at an estate sale. The owner said it was for a Harley Knucklehead. I could not find anything that looks like it. All I know is it is a lever with a knob. Maybe that is all we will ever know about this.

Upvote 0
Definitely NOT Harley Or Indian or any other motorcycle that I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of motorccles

Upvote 0
handle doesn't look like something that would have been in a factory setting, sort of crudely done
the handle was welded and not finished off
also reheated in a few places to make bends
you can see the heating marks from the weld and heating marks from a torch
IMO
Brady

Upvote 0
I'm thinking it might be a conversion from the rocker/foot clutch to a hand clutch on a knucklehead.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back