Motivational Words...RESEARCH!!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I know it can be fun, relaxing and enjoyable to go hit the local park or school, but don't settle for it. I've learned a lot the past few months since I dove back into metal detecting in a big way after 20 years or so away from it. The main thing I've learned is that there
are so many untouched and hidden sites that can be found with determination and research. Sure, some of the sites turn out to be duds (either searched already, or maybe never had what you thought would be there), but overall, the hit rate has been positive. The key is to find sites that at present day no longer exist in any way (including no ruins to give them away). Today just by entering town names and various types of sites ("fairgrounds" "ski area" "old camp", etc) I found a new site where tens of thousands of people were in a small area of land in the late 1800s and early 1900s, found a photo of it, then one article, but there is very little record of it. I talked to an old lady about it and it's so old she remembers ruins when she was a kid, but now they are all gone. So I asked her the $64,000 question, "what's there now?" and she says, nothing, just a big hill and woods, it's never been developed. After I was done slobbering on myself, I started to imagine what will be there if it's never been detected, or even what could be there if it has been detected. Unfortunately, I am traveling right now, so it will be a few days before I can get back and check on it. It made me want to fly back today. Another key, check small towns around your area. It's much less likely that sites in small towns have been checked, but I am finding that some of these small towns once had very large events. You'll see under "treasure leads" I've been posting leads I find outside my area. Hopefully someone will find some of these great sites. So, the point is take the hour or two you were going to spend at an average site and use it doing research to find a spectacular site.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back