Mostly finding preforms and tools in my spot in the creek - Why?

solid2915

Greenie
Aug 17, 2023
As I said in the title, pretty much only hunt the creek (KY) and this is mostly what Iā€™m finding in this stretch of the creek. Worked pieces that I believe are preforms or just thrown away pieces. Little scraper at the very bottom and also looks to be a nutting stone in the 2nd row. I have found a few smaller crude points and 1 nice one but this is mostly it. The rock bars are littered with flakes and un worked broken pieces of flint and chert. I mean LITTERED. This was from a single dayā€¦ so why is that? Why am I finding this stuff every time Iā€™m out but rarely points? Any tips are appreciated

The few points I have found have ranged from aprox. 3000 BP to 8000-10000 BP so I know people was in the area very heavily for thousands of years.
IMG_1596.jpeg

Upvote 1
As I said in the title, pretty much only hunt the creek (KY) and this is mostly what Iā€™m finding in this stretch of the creek. Worked pieces that I believe are preforms or just thrown away pieces. Little scraper at the very bottom and also looks to be a nutting stone in the 2nd row. I have found a few smaller crude points and 1 nice one but this is mostly it. The rock bars are littered with flakes and un worked broken pieces of flint and chert. I mean LITTERED. This was from a single dayā€¦ so why is that? Why am I finding this stuff every time Iā€™m out but rarely points? Any tips are appreciated

The few points I have found have ranged from aprox. 3000 BP to 8000-10000 BP so I know people was in the area very heavily for thousands of years. View attachment 2163616
Probably because if you rely on a completed one to put meat on your drying rack you won't just leave it to go unused.

We had a simular post recently. I find these areas all the time. The area was a good source of material so they went there to gather and test flake material to take back to camp and do the finish work. In most of the pieces you show I see veins and flaws that would have made them difficult to work so they were cast off. Good area to find hammer stones.

Last edited:
We had a simular post recently. I find these areas all the time. The area was a good source of material so they went there to gather and test flake material to take back to camp and do the finish work. In most of the prices you show I see veins and flaws that would have made them difficult to work so they were cast off. Good area to find hammer stones.
Interesting. That makes sense. Thereā€™s a lot of overhangs nearby where they would have been living. Would have been a little walk down to the creek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back