Mostly clad with a silver Rosie and an Indian head penny from an unexpected place

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with 6 inches of snow on the ground followed by another foot a few days later there is no way I can do my detecting close to home. Now the detector works fine in the snow, no problem there. The problem is the coil is so far above the dirt that the only things I will be finding are right on or just below the surface (which to me is a waste of effort in most of the spots I detect). Luckily 15 miles to the east of me they didn’t get nearly as much snow and it has been warmer so the snow cover is minimal at the present. We are expecting more snow and in the next week and the overnight temperatures will be in the single digits (Fahrenheit so well below freezing) which means the ground will be too hard to dig. I got out twice in the east before the big freeze.

DAY 1
I went to a sport complex that has a tot lot, basketball court and multiple playing fields used for baseball, softball and soccer. I have detected most of it over the years, but I still find an oldie in spots not well covered and the contributors keep leaving change and other things each year so I go swingin a couple of times a year hoping for the best.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 41 coins with a face value of $2.92, chunks of a toy car destroyed by the lawnmower and spread over the top of the ground, a fairly old piece of a spoon handle, a 1934 wheatie, a stainless fork, a house key, a sinker, NIKO’s dog tag (with owner’s address and phone number on the back), part of a ball inflation needle, a cheapie carabiner, a plastic toy soldier, a Hotwheels car, can slaw and tabs.

DSCN2983.jpeg

DSCN2985.jpeg

DSCN2984.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the new school permission. It was not a good day, it was just above freezing, the ground was soggy, the wind was fierce and the targets were few. I was only able to stick it out for 3 hours. I did manage to find 24 coins with a face value of $0.89, a nice new SUPER STUDENT AWARD token, a kiddie ring, several modern buttons and snaps, a 1982 Canadian penny, can slaw and some tabs. Not a complete waste, but not very good either.

DSCN2989.jpeg

ADDITIONAL FINDS
I did manage to find a couple of quarters in vending machine coin returns, a couple more on the floor at the mall and a couple of pennies on the pavement as I went around town.

DSCN2988.jpeg

The best finds were actually metal detecting finds I DIDNT KNOW I had found. Sometimes coins come out of the ground so covered in stubborn gunk you can’t tell exactly what they are. I don’t normally get fooled, but it does happen sometime. These 2 coins prove the point. They were found when I examined the coins I had tumbled (about $350 worth) to prepare them to go to the credit union coin sorter machine (I’m a member so no fees taken out like in a coinstar machine). This is not the first silver dime I have found that way and I always find a couple of wheaties. However this is the first Indian head penny I have found in my tumbling. It is thin and almost smooth, but now that it is clean you can see the details pretty well. I have found that some copper coins that deteriorate in the soil do so uniformly so the detail remains the same as it was when it went into the ground, but the coin gets thinner and narrower. It is definitely 189?. The last digit looks like a 1 but it doesn’t look quite right, but it also doesn’t look like any other number. Curious!

DSCN2986.jpeg

DSCN2987.jpeg

Not a great week, but at least I was able to get out and that is the best I could do for now. It might be quite a while before the ground is soft enough to dig again. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 19
Well with 6 inches of snow on the ground followed by another foot a few days later there is no way I can do my detecting close to home. Now the detector works fine in the snow, no problem there. The problem is the coil is so far above the dirt that the only things I will be finding are right on or just below the surface (which to me is a waste of effort in most of the spots I detect). Luckily 15 miles to the east of me they didn’t get nearly as much snow and it has been warmer so the snow cover is minimal at the present. We are expecting more snow and in the next week and the overnight temperatures will be in the single digits (Fahrenheit so well below freezing) which means the ground will be too hard to dig. I got out twice in the east before the big freeze.

DAY 1
I went to a sport complex that has a tot lot, basketball court and multiple playing fields used for baseball, softball and soccer. I have detected most of it over the years, but I still find an oldie in spots not well covered and the contributors keep leaving change and other things each year so I go swingin a couple of times a year hoping for the best.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 41 coins with a face value of $2.92, chunks of a toy car destroyed by the lawnmower and spread over the top of the ground, a fairly old piece of a spoon handle, a 1934 wheatie, a stainless fork, a house key, a sinker, NIKO’s dog tag (with owner’s address and phone number on the back), part of a ball inflation needle, a cheapie carabiner, a plastic toy soldier, a Hotwheels car, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2126099

View attachment 2126101

View attachment 2126100

DAY 2
I went back to the new school permission. It was not a good day, it was just above freezing, the ground was soggy, the wind was fierce and the targets were few. I was only able to stick it out for 3 hours. I did manage to find 24 coins with a face value of $0.89, a nice new SUPER STUDENT AWARD token, a kiddie ring, several modern buttons and snaps, a 1982 Canadian penny, can slaw and some tabs. Not a complete waste, but not very good either.

View attachment 2126104

ADDITIONAL FINDS
I did manage to find a couple of quarters in vending machine coin returns, a couple more on the floor at the mall and a couple of pennies on the pavement as I went around town.

View attachment 2126103

The best finds were actually metal detecting finds I DIDNT KNOW I had found. Sometimes coins come out of the ground so covered in stubborn gunk you can’t tell exactly what they are. I don’t normally get fooled, but it does happen sometime. These 2 coins prove the point. They were found when I examined the coins I had tumbled (about $350 worth) to prepare them to go to the credit union coin sorter machine (I’m a member so no fees taken out like in a coinstar machine). This is not the first silver dime I have found that way and I always find a couple of wheaties. However this is the first Indian head penny I have found in my tumbling. It is thin and almost smooth, but now that it is clean you can see the details pretty well. I have found that some copper coins that deteriorate in the soil do so uniformly so the detail remains the same as it was when it went into the ground, but the coin gets thinner and narrower. It is definitely 189?. The last digit looks like a 1 but it doesn’t look quite right, but it also doesn’t look like any other number. Curious!

View attachment 2126098

View attachment 2126102

Not a great week, but at least I was able to get out and that is the best I could do for now. It might be quite a while before the ground is soft enough to dig again. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
I'd call that a good day, nice finds, congrats and happy hunting.

Good recoveries! Love the Hot wheel car and toy soldier!

DAY 1

View attachment 2126099

View attachment 2126101

View attachment 2126100

DAY 2

View attachment 2126104

ADDITIONAL FINDS

View attachment 2126103

View attachment 2126098

View attachment 2126102

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back