Mortise door lock

Intodeep

Mar 14, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350, Wilson Neuman Daytona
Turns out what I was hoping to be a Lock/Cash box face is actually a Mortise door lock. Oh well, but still very cool.

Thank you Kruger... for pointing me in the right direction, Timekiller for giving it's name/info and too cw0909 for the detailed desription and history.

Original Post: I dug this about 2 weeks ago. I got really excited when I pulled it out of the ground, but that's all that was there.
It measures approx. 6 x 4 and is not marked anywhere that I can tell........

I know someone on here has got to know what it is..........

Attachments

• IMG_2051 (640x479).jpg
    IMG_2051 (640x479).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2052 (640x444).jpg
    IMG_2052 (640x444).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2038 (640x479).jpg
    IMG_2038 (640x479).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2040 (640x479).jpg
    IMG_2040 (640x479).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2041 (640x431).jpg
    IMG_2041 (640x431).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2043 (640x475).jpg
    IMG_2043 (640x475).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_2046 (640x476).jpg
    IMG_2046 (640x476).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 250
Re: Lock Box Face???

I cant say I have seen one with dual key holes like that but,I think it is off of a door

Upvote 0

kuger said:
I cant say I have seen one with dual key holes like that but,I think it is off of a door

Yeah.... I think you might be right, but what kind of door? It's got some weight to it and the 2 post locks outside of the catch lock???
Think I'll change the title to dual key lock mechanism, since it probable didn't have anything to do with a lock box or safe, like had I had thought when I dug it......... I saw the 2 old key holes and my mind started racing (lol)

Upvote 0
Re: *1/2 way solved* dual key lock mechanism

I bet !Whatever kind od door it was on,must have had something pretty important behind it!! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

kuger said:
I bet !Whatever kind od door it was on,must have had something pretty important behind it!! :laughing7:

LOL..... Bet you are right again. I wonder if is off of a cage of some sort??? I did find it at an old farm.......

Upvote 0

the dual key Mortise/warded locks seem to be more for security from thieves
cool piece ive never seen one,maybe someone will know its age

But in 1778, Robert Barron patented the double–acting tumbler lock. The tumbler (or lever) falls into a slot in the bolt which will yield only if the tumbler is lifted out of the slot to exactly the right height. As its description suggests, the Barron Lock had two such levers, each of which had to be lifted to a different height before the bolt could be withdrawn.
Barron's device was developed further in 1818 by Jeremiah Chubb, who incorporated into the lock a spring which would catch and hold any lever that had been raised too high by a lock picker. Not only did this add an extra level of security, it showed when the lock had been tampered with.
http://wheatonlockservice.com/history-of-locks.html
---------
The top keyhole is for a "daylock" function as explained in antique Lock Catalogs. In the lock I own, the top key is of less intricate cut and has a shorter beard length. After the top key locks the outside knob from turning. During the later hours the bottom key is used to turn the deadbolt for the Nightlock function, and locks the door. The bottom key has sidewarding and more levers. 2 Stopwork buttons are used instead of the key to lockthe outer knob. They are pushed in with finger pressure.
http://www.antique-locks.com/miscel...rum/407-2-keyhole-mortise-locks.html#post1373

Upvote 0

cw0909 said:
the dual key Mortise/warded locks seem to be more for security from thieves
cool piece ive never seen one,maybe someone will know its age

But in 1778, Robert Barron patented the double–acting tumbler lock. The tumbler (or lever) falls into a slot in the bolt which will yield only if the tumbler is lifted out of the slot to exactly the right height. As its description suggests, the Barron Lock had two such levers, each of which had to be lifted to a different height before the bolt could be withdrawn.
Barron's device was developed further in 1818 by Jeremiah Chubb, who incorporated into the lock a spring which would catch and hold any lever that had been raised too high by a lock picker. Not only did this add an extra level of security, it showed when the lock had been tampered with.
http://wheatonlockservice.com/history-of-locks.html
---------
The top keyhole is for a "daylock" function as explained in antique Lock Catalogs. In the lock I own, the top key is of less intricate cut and has a shorter beard length. After the top key locks the outside knob from turning. During the later hours the bottom key is used to turn the deadbolt for the Nightlock function, and locks the door. The bottom key has sidewarding and more levers. 2 Stopwork buttons are used instead of the key to lockthe outer knob. They are pushed in with finger pressure.
http://www.antique-locks.com/miscel...rum/407-2-keyhole-mortise-locks.html#post1373

Thank you very much cw0909.

Upvote 0

kuger said:

I think the reason for the two key holes was for a left or right swing door.You could simply flip the lock over for either or.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back