More very promising surface finds.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today while visiting relatives I was able to sneak away for a hour and do some exploring. Went over to this old ghost town site I found and did some investigating. These are some of the better items I picked up in the field. Some I did find last Thanksgiving tho. Lots of pontil base shards, not to mention a Pontil soda base. Clay pipe shards, some buttons and the smallest horse shoe I have ever found. Couldn't Md because the ground is frozen. With all this age there must be some good finds at this site!!!!!!! DSC00853.JPGDSC00854.JPGDSC00855.JPGDSC00856.JPG

Upvote 10
According to my calculations this town died when they laid a RR line in 1874 . A dozen or so homes, school , church store, Ect. Then the town moved 2 miles north next to the line.. It was all gone by 1900. Nothing is left but very promising land to Md... Today it is a thriving town of 4,000 people. The sad part is its 500 yards from an encroaching subdivision...

...not a horse shoe.....its a heel plate for a mans boot

Thanks I did not know that! Here in Illinois all the land was government owned till 42-43 sometime..Hell we just had the Black Hawk wars. And Im finding 1820's coins! How old is the heal plate?
IS
...not a horse shoe.....its a heel plate for a mans boot

I suspect you may find even more things requiring the expert input from members here, Helix. Looks to be a very interesting site. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you could sneak away and did some TH'ing! I wish I could have!

I did md some of the area about a year ago only had about 20 min time. Found one flat button and lots of iron. About half the shards I picked up off the ground then. Just from the amount of well aged shards I'm seeing there must be some good finds in the way of coins! Im just praying it has not been hunted. This spot has me itching to hunt! To bad the ground froze a week ago. I just might have to dig some frozen ground. Forgot to mention the three shards to the lower right (our right) of the cobalt blue soda base appear to be shards of a scroll flask! Might also be some killer bottle finds to be made!! DSC00854.JPG

I missed an opportunity once for probably some sweet bottles so I say get back there ASAP.

Yup that's going to be a good site. If the ground it too frozen to dig you can a least go back and locate the iron patches so you know where to focus come spring.
Good luck,
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back