More VA Beach Finds: These things keep coming up! What are they? Many Pics!

jrlowe

Mar 20, 2006

Attachments

• pieces 1.JPG
    pieces 1.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 680
  • piece2.JPG
    piece2.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 633
Re: More VA Beach Finds: These things keep coming up! What are they?

We've found MANY of those, if your finding that, the bullets are probly near too. I think it comes from some of the explosive ordinance since theres an offshore firing range. I have found three 40mm shells at sandbridge. lol Bomb squads picked two of em up. HH

Robert

Upvote 0

If they are about the same size as a silver dollar or maybe a bit larger, I believe they are parts to an old Projectile fuze. Are the bronze? They look like the inside of what is known as a PTTF Powder Time Time Fuze, which was a kind of time fuze that used black powder as the delay. The cannon crew would set the time on the fuze and fire the round, normally an ejection round, and the firing of the cannon would ignite the black powder in the fuze. At the pre-determined time the black powder would ignite the main charge in the fuze, igniting the main charge in the round, ejecting the contents of the round. Normally a Flare or an anti-personel round with several lead balls. M1907 would more than likely be the fuze nomenclature. Depending on the size of the sections I'm almost 90% certain that thats what it is. I will try and post a picture or two of the complete fuze. Good luck

Upvote 0

Here is another picture of the part that shows a "gear" slot. This pieces I also found seems to almost fit perfectly.

Keep the ideas and info coming!

Thanks

John

Attachments

• more2.JPG
    more2.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 610
  • more1.JPG
    more1.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0

Ok, I'm still saying sections from an artillery fuze. Are they brass, bronze, size? throw me a bone man.... ;D

Upvote 0

Here is a close up of the objects. I'll check them out on the detector again shortly.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• zoom2.JPG
    zoom2.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 599
  • zoom1.JPG
    zoom1.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0

One is +74+80 VDI
One is +81 VDI according to VDI Whites M6

Hope it helps!

Upvote 0

2=Size 1.5 inch.
One is slightly less than 1.5 inch.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure about the meter readings, but still 90% sure about the fuze sections. Just be careful anytime your digging around, possible ordnance items, even old ones. You could end up seeing the picture below, and then looking like me. lol.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 593
  • index 1.jpg
    index 1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 592
  • index 1.jpg
    index 1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 580
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 603
Upvote 0
Certainly look like watch parts, but with the history of the site I would accept they could be from timed fuses for AA shells.

Upvote 0
While searching for information on the post I noticed that the Elgin watch company manufactured time fuses for the military during WWII. Perhaps that is the reason that the items found resemble watch parts. Also, other watch companies were in the production of the time fuses.

Tony

Upvote 0
They appear to complex for bomb fuses. It seems they would be a more simple straight forward design. I lean toward watch mechanisms..
DG

Upvote 0
Hey Rob I got a few of those .50cal..slugs..shells ect.

vabeachrob said:
This is some ammo found at Sandbridge....

IMG_0523-1.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg
Last year with john at sandbridge...some more in Nov 06 in that big Nor'easter. The casings were dated 43,44,46...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back