May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We drove out to one of our other far off spots. It was a Roman Military Site that we have done well but it had recently been deep ploughed. Problem was it was only slightly graded, so a little too choppy for our liking. However, what it did tell us was that the plough had chucked a few more things to the surface. So when it improves we will be back.

8 Scrappies
Roman swan head cart fitting
Roman broken dolphin buckle
Possible Roman horse pendant/mount
Large Lead Steelyard Weight - but this one is our first copper clad version

I spotted one of the largest Roman Storage Jar rims I have ever seen & not the usual shell tempered ware, it almost looks like Grey Ware but I've never seen one like it! The curve is so slight that when I tried to work out the diameter of the hole in the top of the complete jar it came to over 80cms!!!! It must have been 3 foot high...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 9
Nice group of finds there Cru. I am sure that with all that evidence of Roman live in that field there must certainly be some good silver or dare I say gold around there somewhere.
HH,
ZDD

Nice group of finds there Cru. I am sure that with all that evidence of Roman live in that field there must certainly be some good silver or dare I say gold around there somewhere.
HH,
ZDD

We have had many silver Roman off this field. A gold one is unthinkable, but Dad did have his first Gold Celtic from here.

Great finds Cru. What's a head cart fitting?

Last edited:
You need to find the other part of that pot that contains the hoard of silver and gold coins. Nice stuff!

Guys.... I can only dream of having a site or the sites you have to explore within. I am so jealous and envious. I wish you the best and keep posting your findings as they are fantastic.... Merry Christmas.... Brad

What Limitool said ...X2 .... Congrats:hello:

Great stuff as usual Cru! It's funny that I think the late 17th century sites in my area are "old", then I look at the incredible history you guys recover. It's a privilege to see this stuff Cru and I appreciate your posts, Abe

Great finds Cru. What's a head cart fitting?

'Swan head' (I think Swan), some say 'duck or bird head'; that's the shape of the fitting & it acted as a hook on a Cart, probably to tie down a leather strap.

This was some kind of Military controlled industrial site, so a cart carrying material from a nearby quarry makes sense.

As usual Cru, making us jealous across the pond! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such rich history and finds! Awesome as usual!
Merry Christmas and a richly filled New Year! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back