Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some kind of test kit. Plastic case says "Allen Electric & Equipment Co." The kit contains 3 blued metal flat gauges, 5 brass double sided wire gauges starting at .034, up to.063., and a S shaped handle thingie that says "ALLEN" on it. Some parts may be missing. What is this for?

Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 294
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 295
  • MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 296
I think it is what it is... an electrical tool kit for either testing, cleaning, fixing, or whatever for small electrical devices.

I found they made a spark plug cleaning kit also that was sold to the Army...

Age? 40s or 50s?

Value?

I'm sure I've told you nothing you did'nt already know. :P

Upvote 0
Yea, it is what it is :D...Its probably a gap gauge for electrical points, contacts, and/or coil gaps. It appears that each part is numbered and many are missing, particularly in the flat gauges. I guess I will toss it out or give it away with the rest of my worthless junk to someone that holds yard sales. I sell vintage items on e-Bay but this isnt worth the trouble.

Upvote 0
Seen them at the dentist

Upvote 0
The blued-steel things are actually contact-burnishing tools. They are used to clean the exposed electrical contacts of old-style switches and relays. The whole kit belonged to either a telephone exchange repairman or a pinball mechinic.

Chip V.
Oops, I have been unfair to the mother of a dear friend. It may have belonged to a telephone exchange *repairwoman*.

Upvote 0
chipveres said:
The blued-steel things are actually contact-burnishing tools. They are used to clean the exposed electrical contacts of old-style switches and relays. The whole kit belonged to either a telephone exchange repairman or a pinball mechinic.
Really? They appear very smooth surfaced. There must have been about 10 different sizes. The one I'm looking at says: ST-281-9 Another says: ST-281-4
.031- .034 .055-.062
Each one appears to have 2 different thicknesses. What is burnishing?

Upvote 0
Hi BigC, burnishing basically means to "make smooth" those pesky old contact points we used to deal with. But since you mentioned that these tools are smooth, I don't believe that that's what these were for. .055 to .062 seems large for automotive purposes, so I dunno'. But if your like me you won't get rid of 'em until you know exactly what they belong to.

Upvote 0
MAINTENANCE OF RELAYS CIRCUIT CONTROL DEVICES
...When you clean or service ball-shaped relay contacts, be careful to avoid flattening or otherwise altering the rounded surfaces of the contacts, YOU could damage 3-28 a relay if you used sandpaper or emery cloth to clean the contacts. burnishing tool.jpgOnly a burnishing tool, shown in figure 3-26 should be used for this purpose. Figure 3-26.—Burnishing tool. You should not touch the surfaces of the burnishing tool that are used to clean the relay contacts. After the burnishing, tool is used, it should be cleaned with alcohol. Contact clearances or gap settings must be maintained in accordance with the operational specifications of the relay. When a relay has bent contacts, you should use a point bender point bender.jpg(shown in figure 3-27) to straighten the contacts. The use of any other tool could cause further damage and the entire relay would have to be replaced. Figure 3-27.—Point bender. http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cach...+burnishing+contacts&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

I believe the "S" shaped object in my kit is a point bender... for sure. :)

I may save this kit with my A/C tools. I usually replace a bad relay, but who knows, I maybe could use this in an emergency.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back