Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the mother in law came to visit today so what better chance to go out metal detecting would I have? I got out for about 2 hours, at the hunted out park. I started to think it was truly hunted out. For the first 90 minutes all I found were bottle caps and tin foil. Now I been finding stuff left at this place, good stuff, so I just kept walking around. Well, I found a piece that looks like it fell of a necklace. Its a small religious medallion, with a womans name on it. I am going to see if I can locate her to see if she wants it back. Its gold colored, but I can't confirm or deny its gold. Then I found more pull tabs/bottle caps, and then back to back pennys. So I am thinking I am having a really bad day and decide to call it quits and start walking back to the car. Heh. Doing one of those fast sweeps walkiing back to the car, and I get a $1 hit at 7 inches. Odd. It turned out to be an 1864 copper/nickle indian head. Not the best of shape, but I love finding indian heads. For as little as I get out detecting this year, its my 5th pre 1900s coins and my fourth from this "hunted out" park.

Anthony

Upvote 0
Never give up, I'm sure you're glad you didn't. Congrats on your find.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Great job on the IH! A $1 hot at 7", wow!! Must hav had a big halo around it to register that big! HH!

The walk back to the ole car has paid off for alot of people, my friend found a 1799 silver reale a few feet from the car !

It would be interesting to see how many incidental finds occur on the way back to the car. It has happened to me several times. Also, the first find of the day is usually a good one for me. Guess that's one of the things that keeps me going back? Monty

It would be interesting to see how many incidental finds occur on the way back to the car. It has happened to me several times. Also, the first find of the day is usually a good one for me. Guess that's one of the things that keeps me going back? Monty

Monty, you should go out and hunt until you make your first find, and then head right back to the car and swing for your last find!! HH!

Monty, that has happened to me many times. Some days the first find is the best of the day.

I do fast sweeps often & thay have been knowen to pay off keep it up. SAS <><

Nice finds, sounds like a good place to hunt!

HH

Lonewolfe

Haha, that is SO true, especially for me in the last two days. First find is the best, and while not the last thing either day, both of my good finds were VERY near the truck. It is also odd how we so meticulously grid an area in our heads and search a planned out area, and yet when we do our little duck waddle back to the car search pattern, we always seem to hit SOMETHING. And our backs and feet hurt so bad, but we stop and sweep it again and agonize over whether we should dig "just one more." Hah, we are such saps. No wonder those of you who are the male member of a married couple get such looks from your wives. Wouldn't bend to pick a penny off the street, but would dig a foot only to find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back