More Horseshoe Nails 6/30/2023

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I staked out a 3 foot x 3 foot area and used the small coil on my Impact (IM19). I found 5 more horseshoe nails in that area. The top piece I believe is a tire chain hook. Is it strange to find so many of these in such a small area? My front yard is loaded with horseshoe nails though. Since January I found about 30, and that would be in about 1/4 of the front yard. I think it's funny I haven't found a shoe yet. All the nails have been between 4-6 inches deep.

IMG_20230618_174153062_HDR.jpg

I also found what may have been the previous owners trash dump. In the back corner of the yard there is a 6 foot x 6 foot area that is loaded with trash. It appears they threw their trash in this area and burned it. It's all modern trash, so no pics.

Upvote 3
Interesting. Those nails have been in the ground awhile - well rusted. Some are bent and none have points, suggesting they were used and then removed when the horse was re-shod. Maybe the persons doing the re-shoeing kept or re-used all the shoes, leaving none on the ground.

I staked out a 3 foot x 3 foot area and used the small coil on my Impact (IM19). I found 5 more horseshoe nails in that area. The top piece I believe is a tire chain hook. Is it strange to find so many of these in such a small area? My front yard is loaded with horseshoe nails though. Since January I found about 30, and that would be in about 1/4 of the front yard. I think it's funny I haven't found a shoe yet. All the nails have been between 4-6 inches deep.

View attachment 2091456

I also found what may have been the previous owners trash dump. In the back corner of the yard there is a 6 foot x 6 foot area that is loaded with trash. It appears they threw their trash in this area and burned it. It's all modern trash, so no pics.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back