More from the Gravel Driveway; Platinum, Silvers and a Buffalo!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was driving by the house where I got the permission to hunt the gravel driveway a few days ago, and the guy was hooking up his boat, which covered nearly half of the driveway, to his truck.
I pulled over quickly and asked if I might search there once he pulls the boat out. He says "sure, knock yourself out"!
I drove around the neighborhood looking for other possible permissions until I saw him driving by, so I rushed back to his house. My very first target was a 1936 buffalo nickel. After a few clad coins I pulled the platinum ring. Shortly after I got the dime and the strange little 'eyeball' silver ring.
IMG_6573.JPG.jpeg

After a little Barkeepers Friend:
IMG_6574.jpg.jpeg
IMG_6575.jpg.jpeg

IMG_6576.jpg.jpeg
IMG_6577.jpg.jpeg
IMG_6579.JPG.jpeg

IMG_6581.JPG.jpeg

That eye ring is certainly a strange one! No markings in it but tests as sterling silver.

I went back later to show the guy what I found and asked if they had lost a ring or two. He said the platinum ring was his ex-wife's ring that she threw at him just before they got divorced. He told me to keep it. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 28
Great opportunity! Some nice recoveries there. That’s one of the best Buffalo nickels I’ve seen in a long time. What a great looking coin. 👍
MM

That eye ring is certainly a strange one!
🎵🎼 I always feel like, somebody's watching me ... 🎵🎼 da da da da da

Great buffalo with date, so rare to see that.. and everything else... 30 years and tons of rings but a Platinum ring is still on my bucket list !!!

Cool Evil eye ring (goes by other titles as well)
"[EVIL EYE RING] It is believed that the evil eye protect its wearer from the world's evils and brings its owner happiness, luck, health, and good fortune."

Big boats and platinum rings ...to throw away...if you ever get off the driveway you might find out what else that guy has to toss around the rest of his property...could be plenty!
Continued success!
His yard is more weeds than grass, don't know what the hang up is. I'll keep going by there hoping to catch him outside and stop and say hi, and hopefully wear him down. :laughing7:

oldmxrat, what did the platinum ring show up as, meaning ID number and tone? and with which detector. Never found a platinum anything in all these years. Nice job in a hard pack gravel driveway.

Awesome finds! That buff is in pretty fantastic shape. And a platinum wedding band? Yes, please! Very jealous over here, friend!

On a side note, that is one heck of great story about the ring being thrown at the guy by his ex wife. Telling you to keep it just makes it that much better.

oldmxrat, what did the platinum ring show up as, meaning ID number and tone? and with which detector. Never found a platinum anything in all these years. Nice job in a hard pack gravel driveway.
I was using The Legend in Field 2. It rang up exactly the same as a detached beaver tail portion of an old pull tab: clean tone and vdi of 22-23. I always dig those as commonly throw down my own plat ring when I'm at a new spot to do some machine tweaking (it is also a perfect 22-23).
However, I've found three other plat rings that come up as 23(plat+14k), 28(just like many modern opening tabs and 33(same as a typical beavertail pull tab).
I have blind-tested myself and cannot tell the difference between rings and tabs, so I dig them all.

So I was driving by the house where I got the permission to hunt the gravel driveway a few days ago, and the guy was hooking up his boat, which covered nearly half of the driveway, to his truck.
I pulled over quickly and asked if I might search there once he pulls the boat out. He says "sure, knock yourself out"!
I drove around the neighborhood looking for other possible permissions until I saw him driving by, so I rushed back to his house. My very first target was a 1936 buffalo nickel. After a few clad coins I pulled the platinum ring. Shortly after I got the dime and the strange little 'eyeball' silver ring.
View attachment 2132381
After a little Barkeepers Friend:
View attachment 2132382View attachment 2132383
View attachment 2132386View attachment 2132388View attachment 2132390
View attachment 2132392

That eye ring is certainly a strange one! No markings in it but tests as sterling silver.

I went back later to show the guy what I found and asked if they had lost a ring or two. He said the platinum ring was his ex-wife's ring that she threw at him just before they got divorced. He told me to keep it. :icon_thumright:
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back