145.8 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,449
Upvote 0
Steve, you really have an assortment of fishing weight's there. That one with the turkey track is really neat. You really have a good collection there.

Those are awesome looking pieces Steve. I really like the one with the Turkey Tracks on it. We find Stone Discs here with the same symbol on them.

Steve, do you know how the groove was cut? It almost has the look of the antlers neogeo was cutting with flint. Really narrow, and deep, angled a little on the sides. And, maybe the grooves on the turkey tracks was to enable a different type of tying on? Maybe that was a specialty weight?

i think that they are more accurately called bola weights and were used to ensnare animals/birds. net weights are more commonly described as notched pieces of flat slate. here is a picture of the only bola weight i have ever found from lorain county, ohio. i did see a turkeytrack incised bola weight on the internet when i google searched "prehistoric stone fishing net weights". thanks for sharing your finds and continued good luck. brian.

Attachments

• bola weight.JPG
    bola weight.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 586
yes these were used in the missouri river and the tributaries of the heart river the knife river, the cannonball river, the grand river, the little heart river, etc.
they are found along side and with bone fish hooks
they are not bola stones, but they sure do look the same
the groove was cut into the soft sandstone w/a KRF or TRSS knife
larson1951

mickey said:
i think that they are more accurately called bola weights and were used to ensnare animals/birds. net weights are more commonly described as notched pieces of flat slate. here is a picture of the only bola weight i have ever found from lorain county, ohio. i did see a turkeytrack incised bola weight on the internet when i google searched "prehistoric stone fishing net weights". thanks for sharing your finds and continued good luck. brian.

That is how they took down birds. Why put a tukey track on a fishing weight? Maybe it was used for both in the hunter gatherers tool box. We have a big river here the Tennessee and the weights we find are pretty small. Bascially just a smal flat stone notched on each side.
Awsome finds Mr. Larson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back