Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what this is either. Appears silver, quite worn, from the ground. Bearded guy with a head wreath (laurel?) Obverse is IMP (something) and looks MAXIM. Then on the other size of the obverse IANVSP F AVG. Guess he's just average. Reverse is a nice house.....VIRTUS and on the other side MIL (maybe) and ITVII. Under the house is P.S. Must of thought about something after the fact. Any help appreciated, I am way out of my league here. roman3.jpgroman6.jpg

I don't think it is from the prime roman period
I am guessing from the roman germanic period ( see how intelligent I can sound?)

Upvote 0
Anybody know the name of the hunk with the beard? I think it's late also. I know more than I did 1 hour ago. Thanks.

Upvote 0
it is NOT beiber, he cannot grow man hair

Upvote 0
Don, you are right on! Weight is almost exact. 3 out of three tonight. Take a look at the new post. Seems silver but no portrait.

Upvote 0
I just hope what I picked up this weekend is the real deal. So far, everything tests out including weights. Bought over 500 misc. coins 800 bc to 1900 ad. Found 3 pieces which were junk, and gave away the Victorian stuff. Had George 4, 5, 6, and Victorian silvers, which got sold. I like the old stuff. Have about 100 roman bronzes soaking in oil with a drop of dish liquid and the junk is coming off nicely, not hurting the patinas. Best thing I like the most is a George III token with inscription on the back. "In memory of the good old days 1797."

I long for the good old days too. But not that old.

Upvote 0
As " Silver Searcher" pointed out above, while the TN members can ID what the coin is similar to, authenticating the coin as genuine is another issue. I approach these ID challenges as if the coin were genuine; I leave it to others to authenticate.
Don.......

Upvote 0
I'll take it to a local dealer as soon as I'm done detecting the BEACH!

Upvote 0
Did take it to a dealer and it is indeed new.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back