Month of travelling Yields many firsts!!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
This past month I was on the road for work, and took my detector with me so as not to miss out on hunting some parks I normally wouldn't get to....I got to hit 8 parks in four weeks, from texas and Louisiana, up the east coast, and down to Florida....While I did find a lot of clad as usual, I did finally manage to dig up some firsts! My first day I found my first Wheatie, a '44, and boy was I stoked! My second day of hunting yielded my SECOND Wheatie, a '34! Both were in pretty good condition, and then I found a third down in Florida that was a little worse for wear.....I also was lucky enough to find my first Mercury dime, a '37 (looks like it may have had a date with a mower!) that was in really good condition except for the mower hitting it.....Then again, down in florida, we were parked on a lot accross from our hotel which at one time had a hotel on it that had been long gone, and I found my first Indian Head!! The odd thing was the lot was almost all sand, and the IH was partially uncovered! It is dated 1898 and seems to be in good condition after all those years in the sand! Also found some sort of a spatula at a park in San Marcos, TX., and a suspender clasp. Also in that same park I found my first Mexican coin from '58! Included in my pics are also some fishing weights, a square nail, a zodiac coin, a silver and mother of pearl ear ring, and a silver heart pendant, and a brass piece that looks like it was on a necklace...any help on the spatula deal would be great...also with the buckle deal....May post both on What is it?

As always, thanks for stopping by and looking!
HH

Attachments

• First Wheats tour.JPG
    First Wheats tour.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 490
  • First Wheats back tour.JPG
    First Wheats back tour.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Florida Wheat.JPG
    Florida Wheat.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 491
  • Mexican coin tour.JPG
    Mexican coin tour.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 482
  • Mexican coin back tour.JPG
    Mexican coin back tour.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 473
  • First Merc Tour.JPG
    First Merc Tour.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 468
  • First Merc back tour.JPG
    First Merc back tour.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 466
  • First IH Tour.JPG
    First IH Tour.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 463
  • FIrst IH back Tour.JPG
    FIrst IH back Tour.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 455
  • Square nail pendant tour.JPG
    Square nail pendant tour.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Spatula Tour.JPG
    Spatula Tour.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 458
  • Spatula Tour 2.JPG
    Spatula Tour 2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
Nice finds,

To bad about the merc. It happens to the best of us though.

HH Jer

It sounds like you had lots of fun plus, you found some neat stuff! You never know when the indian heads will pop out.

watercolor

Some very cool finds and congrats on all of your firsts!! The spatula looks a lot like a tool we used on the farm to scrape up the old linoleum when we re-did the kitchen floor. I have no clue if that was what it was made for since Grandpa was notorious for using whatever worked even if it was not it's original purpose.....just what farmers do! ;) Also he called it a thingamajig which certainly was not it's original name and in his book a whatchamacallit was the stick he had with a magnet on the end of it to reach those nuts you drop when you are working on the old farm truck! ;) Good luck finding the original purpose on the spatula thingamajig! :D

Very nice finds. Congrats.

Wow Sweet Finds! Especially the 1937 Mercury dime, I just found one of those, also a 1937, last week. Must be a good month for the 1937's lol.

The spatula thing is commonly referred to as a "spud". It was used to strip bark from a log in the days of hand hewing.

The spatula or "Spud" deal has some holes in the flat part, kinda like a fly swatter, but I can only see one and a half of another one, the rest I assume have been rusted over....what is the approximate age of this piece?
Thanks

The more I look at it the more I am thinking I jumped the gun on calling it a spud. It doesn't look old enough or heavy enough for a spud. Is the flat blade part very thick or is it kinda thin like sheet metal? Also what is that on the shaft above the blade?

It's not all that thick, but very sturdy...the thing above the blade is some wound wire of some kind....I can take more pictures if you think that would help....

Congrats on the finds,hope you many more firsts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back