Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MONOGRAMMED STERLING MATCHBOOK COVER

On Sunday I hit an old park out in Brooklyn. One of my first signals had me thinking "Big Silver." Dug down about 7 inches and was still getting a signal that had the Garrett Carrot screaming. Another two inches and out comes a Monogrammed Matchbook Cover. I determined that it was made of aluminum after cleaning it at home. Any help with the initials would be appreciated.
I managed a 1946 Silver Roosevelt Dime as well as a toasted Buffalo and 7 deep wheat pennies. Three of them were pretty old, (13, 18, & 23).
There is a Brass Button or tack that has a #1 on it. Six hours and a pretty productive hunt.

IMG_6582.JPGIMG_6581.JPG

IMG_6584.JPGIMG_6580.JPG

UPDATE: After originally posting the matchbook cover as aluminum, I re-examined it 3 or 4 more times and found the Sterling stamp along the reverse top rim. Thanks guys on insisting that it looked silver.

Last edited:
Upvote 15
You sure that is aluminum? What is the weight? I just can't see someone monogramming an aluminum item.

I think you better look a little closer with a loop, check the lip for a sterling mark. I found a monogrammed case, very similar, the mark was very hard to find.
Great hunt, nice finds brother.

Yep,, you guys were right.
I rechecked the matchbook cover another 3 or 4 times. I found the STERLING stamp at the edge of the rim.
20170510_071225.jpg

I like that monogramed case!

Congrats on a sweet find.

GL brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back