Monkey(?) Ring

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I found this ring the other night. First of all...what is it? Is it a Monkey, Lion, Bear - Oh my??? :icon_scratch:

Can anyone tell me anything about it. I first thought it was a childs ring..since it's cheap. But the size of the band suggest otherwise. It is pretty large. I think the band is aluminum and the top is made from some kind of metal. :dontknow:

I just wonder what the age of this might be. I do know it has a stamp inside that says "Hong Kong"....the real Industry Standard for Quality and Beauty. :P :P :P

Picture 147.jpg

Picture 148.jpg

Picture 149.jpg

As always...thanks for all your replies.

Baldingboy

Attachments

• Picture 147.jpg
    Picture 147.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 148.jpg
    Picture 148.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Picture 149.jpg
    Picture 149.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 295
Intodeep said:
I would say monkey, but other than that ???

That's what I thought too. Mastereagle is from a little known and almost extinct "monkey tribe" native to the Brazilian Rainforest. What do you think? :laughing7:

Larry.jpg

Upvote 0
It looks like one of those 1950's and newer novelty rings sold at booths and given away as prizes in the gaming areas of fairs and carnivals. The eye sockets once held plastic gem stones, as maybe did the mouth. The band looks to be one of those one size fits all, with one side achored and the other not. Not worth anything but still a nifty little find.

Upvote 0
RickyD said:
It looks like one of those 1950's and newer novelty rings sold at booths and given away as prizes in the gaming areas of fairs and carnivals. The eye sockets once held plastic gem stones, as maybe did the mouth. The band looks to be one of those one size fits all, with one side achored and the other not. Not worth anything but still a nifty little find.

RickyD~ Thanks. I was thinking 1950's too....I don't know why. Just a feeling.

Upvote 0
Baldingboy said:
RickyD~ Thanks. I was thinking 1950's too....I don't know why. Just a feeling.

"The 1950's saw the beginning of Hong Kong overtaking Japan. After the Occupied Japan period, more factories in Japan were beginning to be used for larger items or household items versus novelty toys. By 1955 Hong Kong had taken the lead considerably and by 1959 they were close to 90% saturation. The 1970's saw the first rings from Taiwan and then China. Hong Kong became less important."

http://reviews.ebay.com/Vintage-Toy...Geography-Material_W0QQugidZ10000000002135749

Your ring is from a gumball machine :

http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/&page=1&pm=0&searchkeywords=monkey+ring&sin=c832 (bottom row, 4th one)

Sold in bulk in the 1960s :

http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/&page=1&pm=0&searchkeywords=aluminum+monkey+ring&sin=6424 (1960s salesman's samples)

Attachments

• Monkey Gumball Machine Rings.jpg
    Monkey Gumball Machine Rings.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 529
Upvote 0
Intodeep said:
You nailed that one Kenosha Kid...... :icon_thumleft:

Kenosha Kid~ Thanks! That is the ring...or at least the same face mold. If you notice though, the ring in the picture has a flat aluminum band on it, and mine has a thin ring that is seperate from the face. After reading the one link you provided, I am convinced that mine was probably made in the 1940's and the mold inspired the later version you show here. Just my read on it.

My ring is made of heavy aluminum as they mentioned was done in the 1940's. It isn't unusual for them to carry on designs with variations for years.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
Baldingboy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back