Mohawk River Drill !! ?? !!

SPORTSTER

Nov 26, 2007
Hello All ....... My First Post :thumbsup:

I found this last week after a heavy rain and muddy as all HECK !!

Along the Mohawk river where I've found many points , It measures about 4 & 3/8"

I'm certainly no expert at this hobby but I love walking the fields for exercise and finding indian relics

Can anyone give me ideas on age ? Would it be a drill or something else ??

Looks to me it was a drill because a little wear on the shaft.

Thanks for replies in advance

Rock

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 595
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0
Hi Rock, Welcome, You sure have found a drill, a beauty too..Congrats.. :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

Sportster, that is definitely a Drill and a very nice one to boot. It is very rare to find a Drill over 4 inches long and in near perfect condition. As for what culture or the age, with Drills it's really kind of hard to tell since all cultures used Drills. With the base on yours it could basically be from any culture since it's what we refer to as Paddle or Expanding Base Drill. Check and see if there is any grinding along the sides of the base. If there is grinding it could be made from and exhausted Paleo Point, but my guess is it's made from a Knife that has been resharpened to the point of becoming a Drill.

Congrats on the killer find, welcome to the board, and thanks for the pictures.

Man.............what a drill! Like Dork said that is a super rare find. You may walk every day for the rest of your life and NEVER find another drill as nice as that. KIlLLER! Congrats and welcome!
Chuck

Welcome,
Super rare to find one that long.It looks like an excellent drill.Looking forward to seeing more of your finds.

sixgun

Wooooooooooooo! that's a beauty. Welcome to our little t-net family. What part of the country are you from?

Keep your eyes on the ground.

StevenX

Also, looks like Ouchita Quartzite, that would also add to the value. Again I say an excellent rare fine, well done. :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

Yep...that is a sweet drill!! Great find my friend!! :thumbsup:

What a lifetime find !!!! Congrats....just curious about where the Mohawk might be ? It would be so neat to return to the site (where you found it) with a GPS gadget to 'mark' the site for whoever in the future might want to research it......would only add to its value...soooooo totally neat....envy your luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back