Sep 26, 2013
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markings on ring

This ring has a couple of markings that I can't find anywhere. The ring also has 3 diamonds in each gold heart. The mark on the left is "JR" and the one on the right looks to be a "U". Thanks for any help.

Lefty59
mark2.jpgring2a.jpg

Is the U shaped thing perhaps actually a shield, maybe with a figure or script letter inside? Just a thought.

Upvote 0
http://www.edinburghassayoffice.co.uk/downloads/Gold_Plated_Silver_Article_Guidance.pdf
With the information from the site above, I would guess your ring to be 18k white gold with a silver plate. Origin of the maker is also a question. I do agree also the the former caveman with the shield thought. Below is an sample of the link from above:
Other Marks
Other than the silver hallmark or a 925 stamp on underweight items, no other standalone gold fineness marks are permitted on gold plated silver articles, because
they are potentially confusing and misleading to UK consumers. It is not permitted additionally to mark the article 9k, 10k, 14k, 18k etc, nor can the article be marked
375, 416, 585, 750 etc. For the same reasons, ‘American’ style mixed marks are not permitted either, for example 925 1/20 14k. This is the same as it has always been for
gold plated and rolled gold articles under the Hallmarking Act 1973 in the UK.
A gold fineness mark (not hallmark) is allowed if it is immediately preceded or followed by the words ‘gold plated’. For example an article with a silver hallmark (or 925 stamp
on underweight articles) can be marked as follows ‘925 & 18ct gold plated’.

Upvote 0
Looks like you have a 18k marking for the yellow gold where the diamonds are set and a 9.25 for the remainder of you ring.
Indistinguishable: If gold and silver are used in one article (alloyed or not), and are not visually distinguishable, you must disclose the
amount of gold used. The quality mark must state “sterling silver + 10Kgold” preceded by a fraction representing the proportion of the weight of the
gold to the entire weight of the metal in the article. The karat quality of the gold must also be dis-closed. For example, an article made of 14 karat
white gold and silver should be marked “Sterling and 1/5 14K.” Traditionally, the fraction follows the sterling mark except where the gold content is ½
or more of the weight of the article. So, the mark could be: “½ 10K + Sterling” if the gold part of the item is ½ or more of the total weight of the article.
Gold completely covering base metal is plated gold, and the plating rules apply.
Distinguishable:
When the two precious metals can be distinguished (yellow and white) the two metals can be marked similarly. However, the
yellow gold portion must be gold throughout. Examples of marks are: “Sterling + 14K” and “18K + 925.” Traditionally, the silver is identified first except
where the gold content is 1/2 or more of the entire weight of the article.
hope this helps

Upvote 0
Yes Shoes. That should be correct. See my second post for that information. Thanks

Upvote 0
It's all good. Hope Shoes and I information helps with your questions Lefty.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answers. My thought was the ring is silver with the hearts gold plated. The underside of the hearts is silver. I like the idea the U might be a shield with a letter. Time to do more research on the shield. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Put a drop of chlorine bleach on the silver color part of the ring, wait a few minutes, if it turns dark or black, then that part is silver.......nge

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back