Mixed feelings about this one.....

Sep 18, 2011
This is a piece from northern Illinois. I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me thinks it is worked. The other part says Natural. It was found on a trail where artifacts were found. It was a surface find.

I want to say in this chert, but it is gray and a bit dull in terms of finish. I don't see a lot of percussion ripples (if any) but perhaps it was low quality chert? It is also possible that it was at one point gravel put down to walk on so it was a quarry stone.

Im looking for honest opinions.....I wont be offended if it is natural....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Looks just like something one would find on a known site. I'd say it is likely a form of scraper.

What are key signs that you see that indicates it is a tool? I appreciate your feedback.....

You can see a core or maybe pebble has been reduced by flaking to create an edge all around the likely scraper. I'm showing a pebble here that was being reduced via flaking, but was discarded when it broke before the native could finish the job. The other illustration shows a piece being reduced via flaking to create a tool. It takes awhile for beginners to catch onto this, but maybe these photos will help....

In my photos, you can see patches of smooth skin, the cortex, original outside surface of the pebble, and how it was being reduced by flaking toward creating a tool with an edge all around. Your piece has been reduced to what looks like the form of a small scraping tool.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 98
Looks just like something one would find on a known site. I'd say it is likely a form of scraper.

quito got it its a scraper. Nice oval one to.

I agree looks like a nice oval scraper..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back