Miraculous Gold

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took Friday off and detected a wooded park. I wasn’t finding much of anything until I got a steady tone with a VDI of 12 on the Equinox. I was expecting a nickel or a pull tab, and was pleasantly surprised when this Miraculous Medal popped out of the hole. It was made by the Creed company and is 14K gold. The Medal celebrates the appearance of St. Mary in 1830. The Medal is in nice shape, though the misshapen or malformed suspension loop is odd to me. Also found a 1927 wheat penny and a key of some sort. Thanks and happy hunting.

IMG_6250.jpeg
IMG_6251.jpeg
IMG_6260.jpegIMG_6265.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 35
Nice recovery.
Strange one as from the back the looped area is intact, from the front ?

Unless there was a different grades a church could order in-2nds at a cheaper price. :laughing7:

Is that Aluminum the decorated round half ball looking piece-walking stick cover.

really great find. The suspension loop is a puzzler though. No way it ever hung from anything. How odd.
Thanks! I too don’t see how anyone could have actually worn this one, which adds to the mystery as to how it was used and lost.. By the way, thanks for giving me the proper terminology. I am going to edit my post to say suspension loop.

Nice recovery.
Strange one as from the back the looped area is intact, from the front ?

Unless there was a different grades a church could order in-2nds at a cheaper price. :laughing7:

Is that Aluminum the decorated round half ball looking piece-walking stick cover.
😄 Thank you. It is an odd defect for sure. I don’t know what that aluminum piece is, but I like your guess.

That was a really nice pull on the gold, congrats!
Easy to see how it was lost, without being worn it was a pocket drop. Weird but cool!
Thanks! I am wondering if it was a factory reject that was perhaps sold as a pocket piece. Don’t know if the jewelry industry did that or not, just a guess.

Yes. I have attached a picture. It also has two holes drilled in it, though I don’t know if they are part of the original manufacture or not.View attachment 2117170
Now I know I'm going out on a limb here....
It's official name is: "2 holed bedpan button" :laughing7:

I took Friday off and detected a wooded park. I wasn’t finding much of anything until I got a steady tone with a VDI of 12 on the Equinox. I was expecting a nickel or a pull tab, and was pleasantly surprised when this Miraculous Medal popped out of the hole. It was made by the Creed company and is 14K gold. The Medal celebrates the appearance of St. Mary in 1830. The Medal is in nice shape, though the misshapen or malformed suspension loop is odd to me. Also found a 1927 wheat penny and a key of some sort. Thanks and happy hunting.

View attachment 2117122View attachment 2117123View attachment 2117124View attachment 2117125
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

WoW!!! My avatar will show you what my favorite finds in the world are- yours is spectacular! Yet another great find here in Mass- Congrats neighbor!

WoW!!! My avatar will show you what my favorite finds in the world are- yours is spectacular! Yet another great find here in Mass- Congrats neighbor!
Thanks Jeff. Religious medals and relics are a favorite of mine too. This is only my second gold piece. I love them all, but the silver and gold ones hold up so much better. Thanks again and good luck out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back