Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• DSCN2199.JPG
    DSCN2199.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 146
modern...sorry

Upvote 0
Kuger is right. Sorry to have to give you disappointing news, but it is indeed a modernday imitation of the typical form of civil war era yankee Minie-ball, made for use by today's Blackpowder game-hunters. (I think Blackpowder hunting season here in Virginia starts this week.) Note that the "rings" are much wider apart (and the bullet's curved nose is thus much shorter) than on the typical civil war 3-groove Minie-balls.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Kuger is right. Sorry to have to give you disappointing news, but it is indeed a modernday imitation of the typical form of civil war era yankee Minie-ball, made for use by today's Blackpowder game-hunters. (I think Blackpowder hunting season here in Virginia starts this week.) Note that the "rings" are much wider apart (and the bullet's curved nose is thus much shorter) than on the typical civil war 3-groove Minie-balls.

I think it starts November the 3rd.

Upvote 0
Bruce Ct, I should mention that your bullet resembles a late-1860s-era Snyder minie-ball ...which has a wide flat-bottomed cavity in its base, and typically has a 3/16-inch hole in the center of the bullet's nose. But you didn't mention a hole being in your bullet's nose ...and the only photo you posted does not show the bottom of your bullet. Does it have a flat-bottomed cavity in its base? If it does, please post a photo showing its base.

Upvote 0
Bruce Ct, I should mention that your bullet resembles a late-1860s-era Snyder minie-ball ...which has a wide flat-bottomed cavity in its base, and typically has a 3/16-inch hole in the center of the bullet's nose. But you didn't mention a hole being in your bullet's nose ...and the only photo you posted does not show the bottom of your bullet. Does it have a flat-bottomed cavity in its base? If it does, please post a photo showing its base.

CBG,I was looking at the "grooves",around the base which I personally have only seen on "newer",bullets?

Upvote 0
Kuger, I saw those multiple vertical "reeding" grooves on each of the bullet's main body-grooves, and that's why my initial response was that it's a modernday Blackpowder-shooting bullet. (And also, the finder didn't mention a hole in the bullet's nose, which all the Snyder bullets I've seen do have.)

But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the Snyder bullets weere used in Canada ...and Bruce Ct is in Connecticut, right nextdoor to Canada. So, I feel obligated to make absolutely certain his bullet isn't a previosuly-undiscovered variation of a Snyder bullet. The shape of the base-cavity will give us the answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back