Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bullet a few days ago at a site where I have found over 40 dropped Union bullets. It has either been carved with the tip of a knife by a soldier or chewed by a small animal. I'm thinking it was carved but would like other opinions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1459789761800.jpg
    1459789761800.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 1459789774366.jpg
    1459789774366.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 1459789787100.jpg
    1459789787100.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 1459789798730.jpg
    1459789798730.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 1459789809100.jpg
    1459789809100.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 119
Here it is next to an uncarved minie

Attachments

• 1459791458637.jpg
    1459791458637.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
They do look like tooth marks, but I'm not sure if any animal would continue to chew it that much and from different angles. Unless of course they like the taste of lead. lol

Upvote 0
Squirels like to chew lead. I have a problem here in the upstate. I have to cover my batteries on my winches, If I don't the critters will chew the posts off. Tony

Upvote 0
Those are definitely rodent tooth marks, see the same ones on bone and antlers found in the woods regularly.

Upvote 0
I agree with gunsil and Tony in SC 100%. Rodent chews. See it on antler, lead, and bone all the time.

Upvote 0
Gunsil first, then Tony In SC, and Flinthunter are quite right, your Minie-bullet is rodent-gnawed. The reason the rodents (such as squirrels, rabbits, etc,) gnaw the lead so much is that thin shavings of lead taste sweet. That is why the ancient Romans used lead shavings to sweeten their wine. The brain-damage/insanity caused by frequent drinking of the lead-sweetened wine is thought to be one of the reasons for the decline of the Roman Empire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gunsil first, then Tony In SC, and Flinthunter are quite right, your Minie-bullet is rodent-gnawed. The reason the rodents (such as squirrels, rabbits, etc,) gnaw the lead so much is that thin shavings of lead taste sweet. That is why the ancient Romans used lead shavings to sweeten their wine. The brain-damage/insanity caused by frequent drinking of the lead-sweetened wine is thought to be one of the reasons for the decline of the Roman Empire.
Great history lesson CG, I think they still do that in DC

HH, Relic Nut

Upvote 0
I saw one listed on ebay as a "pain bullet" I sent the seller a question asking if it had not been chewed upon by a rodent of some type and he said it had been chewed on by a human. Why someone would lie for a dollar is beyond me. I have several chewed on bullets mostly by rodents and hogs and one chewed almost flat, looks like a piece of spit out gum, that a dentist told me had human teeth marks in it. I don't think it's a "pain bullet" I think it was a round ball that a soldier chewed on while in a battle line...d2

Upvote 0
I saw one listed on ebay as a "pain bullet" I sent the seller a question asking if it had not been chewed upon by a rodent of some type and he said it had been chewed on by a human. Why someone would lie for a dollar is beyond me. I have several chewed on bullets mostly by rodents and hogs and one chewed almost flat, looks like a piece of spit out gum, that a dentist told me had human teeth marks in it. I don't think it's a "pain bullet" I think it was a round ball that a soldier chewed on while in a battle line...d2

Spot on D2, so many sellers perpetuate the myth of the "pain bullet". I've researched it extensively and found 0 period descriptions of biting on lead bullets to cope with a wound. Looks like a squirrel went wild on that one Glenn

Upvote 0

Thanks Cannonballguy and to everyone else who contributed. Great information!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back