Miniature Lock - How Old?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I found this lock in the ground. I'm done with trying to figure out what time frame the items might be from. ;D

The hasp was not there and the lock was pried apart just enough to open it. So either the hasp was removed and tossed or it has rusted away.

It seems to be a brass alloy and has degraded slightly in the ground.

Any idea when a lock like this would have been made/used?

Any idea what the lock may have been used for?

Thanks!

Daryl

Attachments

• Lock1.JPG
    Lock1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Lock2.JPG
    Lock2.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Lock3.JPG
    Lock3.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 236
Daryl, I have a couple of those locks also and have wondered, and I have seen some say they are 18th century, whick I am not sure of at all. I think they are referred to as Mickey Mouse Ear locks! :) I have photos of similar ones from the 1780 range, but I just am not sure at all.
I am sure someone will chime in with defiintive ID and I am interested also.

Don

Attachments

• earlocks.jpg
    earlocks.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 0
Any idea what the lock may have been used for?

To make something more difficult to open.

Sorry. ::) Looks a little like the latches on the leather sealing flaps for diaries.

Upvote 0
My thoughts have been possibly #9 lock on this page, mid 1700's. Very similar and on the more modern lock websites I have basically not found a match. I have seen these as I stated before mentioned as being colonial, but never have had verified or not. Locks that I find, usually are never newer than CW time frame.

Photo Reference is from "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" by George C Neumann and Frank J Kravic

Don

Attachments

• 18thcentury locks.jpg
    18thcentury locks.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0
Looks close enough for me. Just my luck that it seems to be an "add on" lock for the page. No date or data. >:(

I found the lock about 100 feet from where I found the buckle I posted earlier. Seems like they are from the same time frame and it matches the history of the area.

Thanks!

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back