Mini ball ?

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on my Hicks Run Pa dig last week. It was found along the shore of the Bennetts Branch stream. It's very heavy probably lead. The other side is flat. Thanks in advance. It's about an inch across ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429336126.941912.jpg

Without holding it, I would guess it to be a splattered round ball. The Minie ball was named after a Frenchman who was given credit for the three ring bullet we commonly find. For the record, Minie probably was not the "first" the have the conical shaped bullet. There was evidence to indicate Pritchard, Enfield and even our arsenals like Harpers Ferry were experimenting with the conical shaped ball at the same time.

Upvote 0
If the ball itself (not the spattered part included) is indeed 1" across, it would appear to be a little large for a standard musket round ball, but it does look to have been shot. Maybe lead canister shot??

Upvote 0
yes to be picky I believe these are minie balls .
(left Union. the right may be confederate 2 ring Gardner)

DSCF0001.JPG

but yours could still be an early bullet.

I thought mine was a small Cannon ball ,or "Grape Shot" ? But :dontknow:

DSCF0002.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its in the right spot to be split grape shot from the rev war. Half a ball proved to be more destructive than round balls. and they used them and 1/4 rd balls as well

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input Jeff do you know if there was any revolutionary war activity near elk or Cameron county. The history book I read said that area was not settled till the 1800's other than a few very early settlers. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input Jeff do you know if there was any revolutionary war activity near elk or Cameron county. The history book I read said that area was not settled till the 1800's other than a few very early settlers. Thanks again

not that I'm aware of K_
from what I remember of the maps, from northern NY, they traveled down eastern PA to Philly & south.

Untitled.jpg

http://www.westpoint.edu/history/sitepages/american revolution.aspx

Pre-Revolutionary French & Indian War made it through there

Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe a musket ball from an early settler. Thanks again !

Upvote 0
Sorry I was more referring to its being in the correct area. Not being battle fired. Lots of Post war left overs migrated especially in the battle areas. Old mini ball was used for hunting long after the CW All lead was kept for reuse and sat in barns in buckets which could easily be scattered by children etc. You are in Rev war area in general.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Sorry I was more referring to its being in the correct area. Not being battle fired. Lots of Post war left overs migrated especially in the battle areas. Old mini ball was used for hunting long after the CW All lead was kept for reuse and sat in barns in buckets which could easily be scattered by children etc. You are in Rev war area in general.

Cheers

yes very true.

My minie balls come from 60 or more mile north of the supposed High Water mark of the CW.
and 10 miles apart from each other
so unless the Confederates made it across the Susquehanna in Central PA
and traveled a very far distance. (50 more miles) mine were someones souvenirs

Upvote 0
yes very true.

My minie balls come from 60 or more mile north of the supposed High Water mark of the CW.
and 10 miles apart from each other
so unless the Confederates made it across the Susquehanna in Central PA
and traveled a very far distance. (50 more miles) mine were someones souvenirs

Maybe they were to flank the north side of Gettysburg and said the heck with this lets go to Hershey Park.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back