Miners Moss over Vortex?

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you put miners moss over vortex, the vortex is no different than any other rubber mat. Vortex must be alone with a considerable angle and flow to operate.

Ahh that's what I thought. I didn't know about having to have considerable flow...so it's not going to work under riffles other then as v-ribbed?

Jason in Enid said:
If you put miners moss over vortex, the vortex is no different than any other rubber mat. Vortex must be alone with a considerable angle and flow to operate.

So Nothing should go over the vortex?

I'm doing the same and didnt know if I should use some lay flat or something to slow the wear

Thanks

Good evening folks,

Here is the company I order our Vortex matting through. I'll link you through the Gold Hog site as Doc has all the model numbers already there for new buyers. They are cheaper than the company noted above but they typically have about a 5 day delay on order processing. I hope this helps,

Vortex Mat

To answer your question on the moss over vortex, don't waste your money. The above folks are correct the vortex needs water flow for the vortex's to operate properly. Save some money and if you want to use moss just put some deep V under it, it would actually probably hold bigger gold in the deep V also if some happened to work through the moss.

Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
Hey guys, I found a local place here to buy some vortex matting, cheap!

Matting

My question is should I put miners moss over the vortex matting I bought? I'm going to put the vortex on the upper section section of my sluice and veranda carpet with v-rib carpet on the underflow section. Any thoughts?

Vortex is awesome!

Use it alone, that's part of the beauty, it's easy to clean and it holds mostly only the heavies, unlike MM that gets packed full of everything.
No need for moss, no need for v mat no need for carpet. But it really should be on the underflow section instead of the veranda and V rib.

It's used exclusively in Gold Cube. And we all know how good Gold Cube works. Even Doc at Gold Hog uses a Gold Cube to test for fine gold loss from the Gold Hog mats.

With that being said, unless you are using riffles or expanded metal over the vortex, you will need to classify the material being run to 1/8" or risk loosing the larger gold. That's why I say it's best on the bottom underflow section.

But with riffles installed over the vortex any size gold will collect behind them and sit on the mat so long as the proper angle and flow is achieved.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back