Mineral oil

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How long should you soak your points in it to get the full benefit of it? I have never used any before until I bought a bottle of it a couple days ago. I submerged these 2 in it for about 24 hours. They are definitely shiny now. The Hamilton was almost black when I first pulled it out of the ground, but it had lightened up a lot. I was hoping it would look more like it did when I first found it. 20200718_183338.jpg20200718_183742.jpg20200718_184047.jpg20200718_183404.jpg

Upvote 0
It will only soak in so far and eventually wear away. Very nice Hamilton btw.

Thanks tnmountains, that is what I was wondering. Like if you left it in the long enough it might soak in, and bring back the original color. I'm sure you know that look and color they have when you first pull them from the ground is the best. Also, I appreciate your comment on the Hamilton. I am proud of it for sure. I have found so many that were broken, its almost like miracle to find a nice one that is completely intact.

Thanks tnmountains, that is what I was wondering. Like if you left it in the long enough it might soak in, and bring back the original color. I'm sure you know that look and color they have when you first pull them from the ground is the best. Also, I appreciate your comment on the Hamilton. I am proud of it for sure. I have found so many that were broken, its almost like miracle to find a nice one that is completely intact.

You are most welcome. Oils bring out the color like they are new but there is something nice about the aged patina also. I would be proud of that Hamilton also. A true tip for an arrow for a bow.They are so fragile and well made they do not survive as nice as that very often. Good luck in all your hunts.

soak it in acetone until all that oil comes out..

Why would I try to get the oil out? Seems like that would defeat the purpose of soaking them in oil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back