Milky Ranch Pet Wood

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my neighbors had a log section of petrified wood sitting next to his garage door. About a foot across and 18” tall. He traveled to the petrified forest in AZ in the 50s. He then went to the Milky Ranch next door to the forest and paid to collect wood. I tried several times to buy the log from him but it was not for sale. I stopped at his house and asked him for the third time if he’d sell it. Again the answer was no. This time he told me to follow him to the garage. The garage was completely full of old furniture and antiques. On his work bench was this piece of pet wood from Milky Ranch. He gave it to me! Milky Ranch is closed to collecting now and the National Park Service is trying to buy it and add it to the Nat Park. I now have a rock saw big enough to cut it. I might cut a slab or two from it in the future.
IMG_5437.jpeg

Well that certainly was a nice gesture on his part-parting with the piece.
I can see the beauty in the piece that's for sure.
Congrats

Well that certainly was a nice gesture on his part-parting with the piece.
I can see the beauty in the piece that's for sure.
Congrats
I was in my twenties and he was probably 70. Now I’m the 70 yr old and will likely pass this along to some young rock hound after I cut a slice or two off of it. There will be plenty left to pass on. Looking at the time frame, Mr. Burry got the wood in the 50s and gave it to me in the early 80s. He owned it for about 30 yrs. I’ve had it at least 40. Time moves on but that rock is timeless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back