✅ SOLVED Military radio device ... What and How old ??

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay! I had to buy this today at a flea market, because it's NOS with the original box and was only $4.50 + tax. $4.88 all together. I'm not exactly sure what it was used for. It has a couple of very fine hand crank tuners and it looks like it would mount upside-down and overhead as the way of the tabs in the back are and has two post snap clips in the front.It also looks like it has 4 headphone jacks.

It says on the box SIGNAL CORPS U.S. ARMY 1 - RADIO CONTROL BOX BC-496-A S/N 14438 (same s/n as on the device is on the box) Contractor: Western Elect. Co.

My first question is how old is this device.??

The box is stamped Ord.No. 885 Day 44, Cont. No. W-33-042-SC-898 Stock No. 2C3346 A Item 14 and I wonder if these order and stock numbers can pinpoint a date in time.??

What is it??

I can find an other example of this device on a National Air and Space Museum site that give no info on when and how it was used Radio Control Box, GIC, Type BC-496-A · Digital Public Library of America and one other on eBay France suggesting it's WW2 era, but methinks it's "cold war" era. The one in France has a bid at 92.82 EUR which is $104.00 usd (that I like) and gives very little detail on what this is for sure. BC 496 A 2 Receiver Control BOX ARC 5 Military Radio Aircraft WW2 Command SET | eBay

I can't see it being a radio control devise such as remote control as the term radio control is sometime referred to at times.

It measure by only the housing w/o dials, knobs & receptacles 5-1/2" W x 6-1/4" L x 1-3/4" T

Attachments

• RC 1.jpg
    RC 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • RC 2.jpg
    RC 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • RC 3.jpg
    RC 3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
  • RC 4.jpg
    RC 4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • RC 5.jpg
    RC 5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 79
I don't know is this will help at all, but from what I've read it is used to communicate via AM radiotelephone. What you have is a remote tuning device which allows the operator to tune specific frequency adjustments.
"The two transmitters would be fixed-tuned before take-off, with the pilot able to select the desired transmitter and control the mode (Voice, MCW, CW) at the transmitter control box. The receivers were tuned at the pilot's control box by electrical cables and long mechanical tuning shafts, allowing remote control of power, mode, frequency, and volume." This isn't your exact model, but it gives generalized description of how the box is used. I found it here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/ARC-5

I hope this helps some!

Regards

Upvote 0
If the cover comes off with just a few screws and there are tubes inside I think those have dates or date codes on them?

Upvote 0
I don't know is this will help at all, but from what I've read it is used to communicate via AM radiotelephone. What you have is a remote tuning device which allows the operator to tune specific frequency adjustments.
"The two transmitters would be fixed-tuned before take-off, with the pilot able to select the desired transmitter and control the mode (Voice, MCW, CW) at the transmitter control box. The receivers were tuned at the pilot's control box by electrical cables and long mechanical tuning shafts, allowing remote control of power, mode, frequency, and volume." This isn't your exact model, but it gives generalized description of how the box is used. I found it here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/ARC-5

I hope this helps some!

Regards
That is help. Looking at it last night. I noticed two of the connections on the side have a splined shaft that rotates when you turn the crank tuners that would twist these mechanical cables you mentioned. This explains why it's descibed as remote control device. It was probably connected to a stationary radio mounted away from the cockpit, much like the one in the link you provided. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like I should list this this one on eBay Euro. This one only sold for $35.00. WW2 items always sell higher over there. I picked up a Nazi C.Plath sexton over here once for $400. and it sold for over $2400. USD to a collector in Norway. The dealer I got this from does estate liquidation and resales cheap as cash flow is very important in her racet. She hardly ever researches sold prices. She just needs to turn a quick profit. She'll get some very interesting items from time to time in her flea market booth.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back