Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this today,
Chas. Saunders
Co. C. 10th Infantry
Any assistance appreciated.

Chas.jpg

These types of ID tags are sometimes described as Civil War dog tags, like at this site: Motts Military Museum :: Civil War
But I've seen numerous examples where research showed that the individual hadn't served until after the war. So it may take some research on the individual to date it. But at any rate they weren't issued by the military, which didn't issue ID's until (someone help me here), a bit before WWI. Is there any indication of the maker of the tag on back? That also may help date it.

Upvote 0
LOTS of Charles Saunders on Ancestry. What county in New York did you find it in, so I can narrow it down. He may have fought for a different state, but ended up there. Could it be a GAR thing? Also interested in seeing the back.

Upvote 0
The back is blank, might have been something there long ago, all but worn away now. :(

Upvote 0
Gosh, it's beautiful.
OK, NY didn't have a 10th in the Spanish/American war that I can find, and I found the Civil War NY 10th Inf roster here (http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/rosters/Infantry/10th_Infantry_CW_Roster.pdf), and he wasn't in it.
Census-wise, there are a couple Charles Saunders in Erie county,NY, my best guess is Charles A, wife Cynthia,in 1880 census, and in FindaGrave here: Charles A Saunders (1840 - 1889) - Find A Grave Memorial
If you're in Hamburg, you should look up his death date in newspaper (probably available on microfilm in library), I couldn't find his obit with the online NY newspapers, maybe someone else can? If you're not in Hamburg, then PM me more info.
Also, if found at a house site, you can search property records, or City Directories if you're in a city that has them (the library again), and look for him there.
So very cool to find something with someone's name on it!!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks Tigger, that's great info.
I'm in Buffalo, I'll be doing some research for sure!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back