Military Dog Tags

I can't offer any help, but usually the number below the name is their SSN#

The dog tags began changing in the 60's to reflect SSN rather than serial numbers. The prefix RA indicates Regular Army, as compared to US which indicated a draftee, or NGO which was National Guard. The "O" is the blood type of the wearer and then their religious preference. I would guess a WWII or Korean veteran. You can write to the U.S. Army Records Repository in St. Louis, MO, explain what you have and they will make an attempt to locate the soldier for you. Good Luck!

I remember back in the day when we were told what our Service Number was what would happen to us if we ever forgot it. I can still wake up out of a deep sleep and 0300 and recite it from memory. I have to think for a moment as to what my SSN is. The SSA did not scare me quite like the D.I. did!

I have a dog tag & enlisted collar brass that was turned into my office here in SW Georgia that was found by a lady who was metal detecting while the lake was lowered behind the local V.F.W. I hunted the service member's name on the internet and found that he had served in the Army in the 1960's / 70 and I found that he now lives in California. I contacted this fellow and he was not interested in us sending these items back. I plan to drop these items and press them into the ground next time I'm in the Vietnam War park.

Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Style 1 was just as you have found: Viet Nam era up to 1967
Style 2 would be from late 1967 to June 1969, showing Social Security number after blood type.
Style 3 would be from June '69 to current; just Social Security number.
Edit: In what state did you find this tag?
Don....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back