perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

I was going through my unidentified box of finds from Colombia today and came across what appears to be a small button of some sort. It has a "golden patina" but the underside looks iron. It is exactly 1/2 inch in diameter. It was encrusted in dirt when I originally found it but now that it is washed off I can see a symbol in the middle and "Republica de Colombia" on it, which makes my hypothesize that it is a military button on some sort. I haven't been able to find anything matching on the internet to identify it, unfortunately.

I know this is a long shot but can anyone either identify the button or perhaps another resource online?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 63
To bad you couldn't make out the maker on back to id and date it. I'm not sure on military but it is a very nice 19th century gold gilt flat button! [emoji106]

Upvote 0
To bad you couldn't make out the maker on back to id and date it. I'm not sure on military but it is a very nice 19th century gold gilt flat button! [emoji106]

Thanks! Any idea how to clean up or make the marker ID on the back more visable? Or is it probably hopeless?

Upvote 0
Nice find!:icon_thumleft: There is a button pictured here that is similar - along with some interesting military history.

History Ireland

The National Museum of Ireland, Decorative Arts and History’s permanent exhibition Soldiers and Chiefs: The Irish at
War at Home and Abroad 1500–2001 boasts the Gran Colombian Army coatee and epaulettes of Colonel William Ferguson, an Irish hero of the South American wars of independence (right). The red coat features gold buttons (below right), embossed with the words ‘Republica de Colombia’, and gold epaulettes. The elaborate epaulettes indicate that Ferguson had reached the rank of colonel by 1828.

Attachments

• colombiabutton.jpg
    colombiabutton.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice find!:icon_thumleft: There is a button pictured here that is similar - along with some interesting military history.

History Ireland

How the heck did you find that web page, Bramblefind? Many thanks for taking the time to find! I've been googling all day and hadn't come across it. It's a very similar button although not a match. I think it could be from the same period- they mentioned that Ferguson's button reflected his rank (Colonel) and I wonder if the gold button I found was of a person with a different rank?

Upvote 0
How the heck did you find that web page, Bramblefind? Many thanks for taking the time to find! I've been googling all day and hadn't come across it. It's a very similar button although not a match. I think it could be from the same period- they mentioned that Ferguson's button reflected his rank (Colonel) and I wonder if the gold button I found was of a person with a different rank?

It is a match (sort of). Its just probably from a different time period than the one pictured, probably 10-20 years earlier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a match (sort of). Its just probably from a different time period than the one pictured, probably 10-20 years earlier.

Thanks, Crusader! I'm glad I decided to keep all my finds as I found this months ago before cleaning it off properly (I found this button the day I found my first cob so I was a bit distracted).

I wish I could find the exact match for this particular button but maybe it just isn't online. We're going to visit the history museum in Bogota, Colombia to see if they have any older Colombian military displayed for comparison.

Upvote 0
Cool button! Using Bramblefind's good ID I looked up "Gran Columbia" and it appears they only used this Coat of Arms from 1821-1831: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Colombia
It would seem maybe it has to date in that range? -which is about right for the construction of it.

Which implies they had at least 2 patterns in a short period! (Possible I guess, but a little odd)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back