✅ SOLVED Military Button Identification this one is tough!

magenta1

Aug 20, 2013
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gang

This is a tough one for me.

20mm button.
Has almost like a clockwork mechanism to release.
I "think" maybe British?
Ok I’m completely stumped on this one

Appears to be handmade, appears to be signed

Help! Help!

Thanks!

Bill
.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 121
Could it be one of a pair of vintage cufflinks? They were probably expensive based on the intricate clasping mechanism and craftsmanship. That sunrise/sunset/sunny face may be your hallmark, but I could not find anything about it. Very cool, none the less. Sub 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Originally I thought that, but there is no way you could operate this with one hand and do your cuffs.
I “think” maybe the top button of a tunic???
Once again I have No clue

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess a cufflink as well. It appears to have a name engraved on it "W Werk"? That may be a good place to start. As far as it being too complicated to operate with one hand, keep in mind that most gentlemen of means had a butler or man servant to take care of such details for them.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• poshipping.jpg
    poshipping.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 513
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
The only additional info I can contribute is that is definitely not Military. No actual Navy emblems have that swirly background around the anchor. It is a civilian-usage "Nautical Motif" cufflink, worn by yacht-owners and other civilians who are into sailing/boating.

Upvote 0
West's Patent is very likely William West:

Be it known that I, WILLIAM WEST, a subject of the Queen of Great Britain, residing at Aston, in the county of Warwick, England, have invented certain new and useful improvements in solitaires, buttons, and analogous appliances for fastening articles of wearing-apparel, purses, bags, and other articles, of which the following is a specification.
This invention relates to solitaires, buttons, and analogous appliances for fastening articles of wearing-apparel, purses, bags, and other articles; and the said invention consists in the improvements in construction of such appliances illustrated in the accompanying drawings and hereinafter described with reference thereto.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• US604815-0.png
    US604815-0.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
Thank you all you folks from 2013 who answered this question, as I just found one of these cufflinks in 2016!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back