Military button ID

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this lovely button a few hunts ago at an old colonial cellar hole. Seems to be in great condition, the back is a little caked with dirt but I didn't wanna risk damaging the button by cleaning it. I can somewhat make out "extra quality" marked on the back of the button. I'm thinking this is an old navy button, but I'm not certain and would love a correct ID and age of the button. Thanks for any help you guys can provide :).

IMG_20140602_231408_916.jpg
IMG_20140602_231500_987.jpg

Your brass 2-piece button is from the British Merchant Navy (equivalent to the US Merchant Marine service).

The photo shows your button's backmark says more than just "extra quality." If you can make out the rest of it, tell us, because it might help with time-dating your button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried to clean the back up a bit, still can't make out what else the button says. I do see 3 additional marks on the back, maybe initials? I'm not sure, is there a special way I can clean that back up that you guys know about, besides just running water over the back.

Thanks for the replies guys 8-)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back