military buckle or badge

arthur mac

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this unusual small slip buckle was found at a known war of 1812 site that was in use from the 1st revolution up to war of 1812 ,also was an early cabin site from there after up to about ww2.the stamping looks to be 4 cards spread out and a flourdeli on the bottom the word is SG BREVET DG ,I think brevet is a field appointment due to lack of officers available feel free to correct me ,and is there anyo DSC_0009.JPGne out there who can identify this buckle ,could be possibly British.DSC_0009.JPG

It is a French-made buckle, from the latter-1800s, probably for suspenders, but we need accurate size-measurement to deduce its specific purpose. It is definitely not a belt buckle, nor is it Military-issue. If I recall correctly from doing research on CH Guyot suspenders-buckles many years ago, the word "brevet" on such items is French for "Patented."

Upvote 0
Thank you for the size measurement. It is too small to be either a belt buckle, or a suspenders-buckle (suspenders-straps are wider. Could be a vest's waist-adjustment strap, or a garter-strap.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back