Miami hunt not too bad, but not what I expected....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured I would hit Miami following the big weekend... Drove over Monday afternoon, and arrived at North Beach about 5:30... I have never seen so many people in my life at a beach, it was amazing.. Unfortunately, the surf was way to rough to water hunt, and the beaches were so crowded, even dry sand hunting was about impossible.
I waited until just before dark, as people were leaving, and started hunting. Hunted until 11:30 and saw two other guys hunting. One was decked out like he was going on an expedition, and was obviously not there to gab with other hunters. The other was a young guy, "Jimmy", and was more than willing to chat for a while. What a nice guy!
I found one silver ring with a light purple stone in it (Amethyst?) and a moderate amount of clad... Just about got jumped by two black guys too.. They approached me and asked me if I had found a "black bag"... I told them no, and at the time I was carrying two large beach towels under my arm. They had the "look" in their faces like they werent the best of dudes, and one kept trying to get behind me. I kept turning towards him, while the other guy kept inquiring about the bag. Then the one trying to circle me lunged forward and tried to grab the towels out of my arms, and I stepped back, raising my scoop at the same time. "WTF do you think you're doing" I asked.. "Whats in the towels man" the one asked... "Towels" I said, and the guy again lurched forward and yanked them out of my hands.. I started to swing the scoop, and he jumped back. "Just towels".. The talking one again asked me what I was looking for, and if I had seen a black bag... "What do you think I am looking for" I said, holding up my detector... They then turned and walked off.. I watched them for awhile to make sure they werent going to turn around before I started detecting again.. I wonder what was in that black bag?
Anyway, slept in my truck that night, and then headed to Biscayne in the morning. I have never seen so much garbage strewn about in my life!! It looked like Woodstock had just happened there. The park officials wouldnt even charge to enter "we are too embarrassed to charge with the place being so filthy".... People are such pigs it still amazes me (I guess it shouldnt though)...
Ran into two other detectors (board members I think) and I eventually worked my way towards one. I cant remember his name but he is from Cape Coral.. They were really disappointed at how bad the hunting was. His buddy had found one small gold ring, and they had been hunting since Sunday... Record crowds at the park according to the Supervisor "we have never had so many people here, both Sunday and Monday"... But little drops... The dry stuff was too litter strewn to even think about hunting there, so I concentrated on the water. Nothing out waist to chest deep, and it was a little rough, so thought I would try in from knee deep to waist.. Started finding more clad, and of course, a lot of trash too... About 2pm I hit a good low tone and dug.. Nice 10k mens White Gold band, 8.63 gms... Also ended up finding 3 SS earrings, and total clad count was $9.75...
Although not a great hunt, melt value for the ring is $143.00 so the trip paid off for sure... Hopefully, that is my last hunt with that little 6" RTG scoop.. That thing worked me to death!
I also found a little token, slightly smaller than a dime, that is bronze in color and is a Toilet token from Indianapolis!! It is in great condition, and reads "Keep our restrooms clean" on one side, the other side says "Nik-O-Lok" at the top, "Restroom Token" in the middle, and "Indianapolis Indiana" on the bottom... I didnt know they even still had pay toilets?? Could it be old? I am guessing not, due to the good shape it is in...
Here are the pics of the jewelry.

Attachments

• miami finds 1.jpg
    miami finds 1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 759
  • Miami finds 2.jpg
    Miami finds 2.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 751
  • Miami ring 1b.jpg
    Miami ring 1b.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 754
  • Miami ring 2.jpg
    Miami ring 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 755
Upvote 0
Cool finds even though it wasn't as good as you had hoped. I am glad your encounter with the "tough" guys did not get out of hand. It sounds like you can take care of yourself. Just be careful out there!

mumszie said:
It sounds like you can take care of yourself. Just be careful out there!
Growing up with two sisters, and being skinny my entire life has made me learn to take care of business.. LOL... I have been known to go "Neanderthal" on big guys and bullies....
No matter how tough one is, bullets still hurt, so can never be too careful... Thanks Mumzie..

Hey, I think you did pretty good... I do wish I would've been able to meet up with you though! That likely wouldn't have happened with those two guys if you weren't alone. I finally got all my brake stuff on my truck situated yesterday, so we'll need to get together and go do some detecting soon. :) Hannah and I will likely be making a day trip down to Sebring in a few weeks, so maybe we can all get together or something!

Bran <><

It is a shame that much trash is left behind. Still pulled some gold and thats what counts. Congrats! :icon_thumright:

godisnum1 said:
Hey, I think you did pretty good... I do wish I would've been able to meet up with you though! That likely wouldn't have happened with those two guys if you weren't alone. I finally got all my brake stuff on my truck situated yesterday, so we'll need to get together and go do some detecting soon. :) Hannah and I will likely be making a day trip down to Sebring in a few weeks, so maybe we can all get together or something!

Bran <><
Maybe a good time for us to take the boat out to one of the local lakes for a "boat picnic"?
Let me know when/where you are going to be in Sebring, and we can hook up for sure!

Silver Surfer said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><
Maybe a good time for us to take the boat out to one of the local lakes for a "boat picnic"?
Let me know when/where you are going to be in Sebring, and we can hook up for sure!
The water was pretty trash free considering, but my God, the land was appalling.... F'ing disgusting pigs people have become... Why people think they are "owed" trash service at parks/beaches is something I will never understand... If you can carry it in full, why the hell cant you carry it empty to one of the hundreds of trash barrels all over the place????
Dirty diapers are what really make me see red... I once was a the Pier in St Pete and saw a woman toss a dirty diaper about 3 ft away from her, and a trash bin was about 20 ft from her.. She then got up, and walked within 5 ft of that same trash bin as she was leaving. I grabbed the diaper and threw it at her and yelled "You forgot something"... She turned, gave me a nasty look, and shouted something back in spanish I didnt understand (My espaniol is limited)... I callled her a POS (I know, not nice) and as she was still looking at me, walked over and tossed the diaper in the garbage can...

makes me feel like i should carry a dive knife

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back