Mexican War Ammunition?

CRS

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2013
Slaton, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00070.JPG

About 15 miles Southeast of Lubbock, Texas, which is located in West Texas approximately 110 miles due south of Amarillo, Texas, a spherical ball, around one inch in diameter, 0.80 ounce in weight, and magnetic in nature, was found 3 inches below the surface. The attachment shows a picture of the ball adjacent to a U.S. quarter, which has a diameter of 0.955 inches.

Ranald S. Mackenzie, a career U. S. Army officer and general in the Union Army during the American Civil War, and his Mackenzie Raiders operated in this West Texas area during the "Indian Wars," which took place following the Civil War.

Would it be possible that this spherical ball was fired from some of the munitions carried by Mackenzie's Raiders? If so, what type of military weapon might that have been?

Any information would be appreciated, even if speculation.

Thank you,
CRS

If it is Magnetic I would say no.Sorry Being magnetic in nature i would say ball bearing.I always hate to tell people that there find isn't what they think it is.But lets see what the others say... Osage

Upvote 0
Take it to the Southwest Collection at Texas Tech and ask for David Murrah. If he is still alive and there, he can tell you...

Upvote 0
Descriptions of solid iron balls used in canister
Caliber designation
Allowable diameters in inches
Mean weight in pounds
6-Pdr. Gun1.14-1.17.21
12-Pdr. Mountain Howitzer.69 lead musket balls
12-Pdr. Field Howitzer1.05-1.08.16
12-Pdr. Gun1.46-1.49.43
18-Pdr. Gun1.67-1.70.64
24-Pdr. Gun1.84-1.87.86
24-Pdr. Howitzer1.32-1.35.32
32-Pdr. Gun2.02-2.061.14
32-Pdr. Howitzer1.46-1.49.43
42-Pdr. Gun2.22-2.261.5
8-inch Siege Howitzer1.84-1.87.86

These are the exact measurements for canister shot. If your find matches any of the above, then it is possible that's what you have.

Upvote 0
The round projectile has nice smooth iron look, which might be more modern , if military projectile of that period wld have been cast iron, which has rough sand cast appearance. hopfully someone of greater knowledge than me will respond.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I should explain what canister shot is: It's an antipersonnel charge consisting of a cylindrical tin can filled with 27 cast iron balls, packed in saw dust. When the artillery piece is fired, the tin can would peel away and the balls would spread out like a giant shotgun blast. This was usually used when the troops were within 100 yards of the guns.

Upvote 0
There is a problem with your reported weight of the ball, which being magnetically sensitive is presumably iron or steel.

According to the Ordnance Manual's artillery-ball precise size & weight specifications, a solid (not hollow) iron ball which is 1.06-to-1.07-inches in diameter weighs .16 pound. That translates to 2.4 ounces. But you say your presumably iron/steel ball which is slightly bigger than 1-inch weighs .80-ounce. So, it weighs only about 1/3rd as much as it ought to weigh if it is a solid (not hollow) iron/steel ball. The only Scientific explanation for an iron/steel ball being so extremely lightweight for its size is that it is hollow. That absolutely excludes your 1"-inch ball from being a Firearms or Artillery ball.

Let me add that I don't get any pleasure at all in having to disappoint a relic-digger's hopes. But, the Science answer this time is No.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestion. Hopefully, I can try to determine if Mr. Murrah is still at the Southwest Collection at Texas Tech in the days ahead. CRS

Upvote 0
Thank you for the canister shot data. The relative light weight (0.80 ounce) of the spherical ball rules out that it was a canister shot, based on the information you provided. At least I now know what the spherical ball isn't. Again, thanks. CRS

Upvote 0
Is there any chance your scale was set on grams and read 80?, as 80 grams would be a feasible weight for its size (given a diameter a touch larger than TCG mentioned), if you feel that it's solid enough to be have been used this way...
That is, I'm certain that TCG is spot on with what he's mentioned, and I'm trying to make sense of that weight, which I think would be less than aluminum would weigh? But ifs solid and is magnetic than a clay marble made from iron rich soil is all I can think of.:tongue3:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, the "round projectile" is quite smooth. And because of it's light weight (0.8 ounces), I'm relatively certain it is not made of cast iron. In any case, thanks for your input. CRS

Upvote 0
In reality, it was mostly by accident that the spherical ball was found. In other words, I kinda stumbled on the find. But I will still claim it, nevertheless. However, thanks for your kind words. CRS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your explanation of canister shot is most helpful. Because the round ball weighs only 0.8 ounces, I'm pretty sure it is not made of cast iron. Therefore, this probably rules out that it was a canister shot. In any case, thanks for your information. CRS

Upvote 0
Yes, I agree with your assessment. The spherical ball is definitely not a solid iron/steel ball. I knew its size and weight precluded that from being the case. And your "scientific" response was not disappointing or offensive; I view the information as very helpful. You are kind and gracious to respond to my post. Thanks. CRS

Upvote 0
No. I took the ball to the local post office and the postman weighed it on two different scales. Each measurement was 0.80 ounces, not grams. Nevertheless, your thoughts are appreciated. CRS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back