Mexican Sword Handguard ?

jstorz

Greenie
Feb 14, 2013
I found this Sunday at a 1830 era homesite. I found 1 piece and saw it had a part missing. About 30 minutes later I found the other piece about 30 ft away. I didn't want to clean it,but a friend at work said I needed to sandblast it so he could solder it back on. It looks like a Mexican Eagle(chacalaca) to me. Could someone confirm this and date it? I live in southeast Texas.

Attachments

• image-399209266.jpg
    image-399209266.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2857904690.jpg
    image-2857904690.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 163
I looked as well and didn't see anything close. Maybe you should post it on a sword forum.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
So, when you mention the parts being separate, do you mean the eagle portion was found separately? To me it looks like its placed where I would expect the blade to go through the guard. Although it looks to fit there, it doesn't match the orientation of the examples of that type of handle I'm familiar with.
Perhaps photos of the two parts separated, and from a different angle will help determine how it was originally affixed, which may then help with who constructed them in this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked it how itwas broke and welded it back like that. I may have done it wrong. The long piece was Seperated from the part with the bird on it.

Upvote 0
Well I can tell you I still haven't found a match yet. Here's the problem.... If it's from a sword made for a specific person, and not a mass produced sword, like a military or fraternal sword there may be no way of positively id-ing it. I think from the design of the eagle, and the location where it was found there is a reasonable chance it is of Mexican origin, but other than that I really can't add much.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back