meteorite ?

adam123

Aug 10, 2024
hi all i’m adam. i’m from the uk. i found a rock and i need help identifying it please help thanks.
IMG_0019.jpeg
IMG_0024.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpeg
    IMG_0021.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
hi all i’m adam. i’m from the uk. i found a rock and i need help identifying it please help thanks.
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: UNITED KINGDOM for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to GEOLOGICAL FORUMS > METEORITES for more exposure.

Welcome from another Brit.

It doesn’t have any obvious features to suggest it’s a meteorite and meteorites are extremely rare in the UK. There are only 22 confirmed falls on the mainland, plus one in Northern Ireland (and six in Southern Ireland).

It looks glassy. Can you confirm that, and is it at all translucent if you shine a bright light through it? Tektites can look like that, but are not found at all in the British Isles and neither is obsidian. Pitchstone (which looks similar to obsidian) is found only on a couple of Scottish islands.

If it is glassy but not translucent, I suspect it’s a piece of slag glass from an old bottling works. Where exactly did you find it?

Welcome from another Brit.

It doesn’t have any obvious features to suggest it’s a meteorite and meteorites are extremely rare in the UK. There are only 22 confirmed falls on the mainland, plus one in Northern Ireland (and six in Southern Ireland).

It looks glassy. Can you confirm that, and is it at all translucent if you shine a bright light through it? Tektites can look like that, but are not found at all in the British Isles and neither is obsidian. Pitchstone (which looks similar to obsidian) is found only on a couple of Scottish islands.

If it is glassy but not translucent, I suspect it’s a piece of slag glass from an old bottling works. Where exactly did you find it?
i have downloaded a rock app and i scanned it and it came back as tektite. it’s very confusing
IMG_0022.jpeg

I thought I had replied again to this, but can't see my reply.

The apps available for identifying rocks only have limited value. There are no tektites to be found in the British Isles.

If it is glassy, then I would still reckon it to be industrial slag glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back