Meteorite ?????

flopper

Feb 4, 2013
West Richland, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III
Highly magnetic and is hand size. Found in river while dredging.....

ForumRunner_20130903_045848.png

ForumRunner_20130903_045858.png

You know the saying... If it flaps its wings like a duck, Quacks like a duck and has a bill like a duck. What do you think it is? Your rock is heavy, magnetic, not rusted. A ferrous metal of some kind. Pure Iron doesn't rust. I think you may very well have a real Iron Meteorite. Do look for more opinions and research a bit online. This is just one of many links. Meteorite Identification - Found A Meteorite?

Your living one of my dreams, that I stumble across a meteorite of any kind. Sure hope it pans out!

Upvote 0
Looks like this duck is taking flight. It passed the rub, weight, and file test. It weighs 10.5 oz...... My wife asked me how I planned to finance my gold adventures..... : ))

ForumRunner_20130903_182804.png

ForumRunner_20130903_182830.png

ForumRunner_20130903_182845.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130903_182813.png
    ForumRunner_20130903_182813.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
You might want to send information and photos to Steven Arnold, one of America's leading meteorite experts. Best of luck, I hope it is truly a meteorite so you can get that new detector! Sub 8-)

Here is a link to his website:

Home Page

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't want to dash your hopes, but I have seen magnetite (natural mineral, Fe2O3 composition) that looks like this. It is naturally magnetic, a fairly common natural earth rock mineral, looks black to dark gray overall, with a hackly fracture. A nickel-iron meteorite may have a brownish black to gray crust, but if you scratch or file it, should appear metallic, like steel (unless it is very old and rusting away). Keep us posted either way, and good luck!

Upvote 0
Don't want to dash your hopes, but I have seen magnetite (natural mineral, Fe2O3 composition) that looks like this. It is naturally magnetic, a fairly common natural earth rock mineral, looks black to dark gray overall, with a hackly fracture. A nickel-iron meteorite may have a brownish black to gray crust, but if you scratch or file it, should appear metallic, like steel (unless it is very old and rusting away). Keep us posted either way, and good luck!

When I did my file test it is shiny inside ( see photo)

ForumRunner_20130905_162043.png

Then about fifteen minutes went by and it's like it healed itself. I have never seen a rock do that.....

ForumRunner_20130905_162307.png

So many questions. The pictures don't do it just. I am going to take a video of me cutting a end off it and check what happens.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back