Meteorite?

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I went out to Virginia Beach detecting today and found this little rock. If I remember right, it hits around a VDI +70 on my Spectrum XLT. It is not magnetic. The strangest part is the little black crystals on the top...the camera flash gave the crystals on one picture almost an amber tinting making me think they are semi-translucent. The bottom has whitish chalk looking deposits and there is some of it that comes up the sides.

Length on widest part of triangle is about 3/4" wide.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Attachments

• IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 332
Looks like camp fire glass to me.It may be sounding off because theres some metal from cans or other material in it.Here's some I save that looks like it sorta but from colonial sites and camp fires.No metal in mine won't sound off.But I have seen the old man take his fisher Cz3 and pick up soft signals from old bottles with his sensitivity cranked up high.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0
Hmm, I don't see any resemblance to campfire glass when I look at it. The black area below the crystals is definitely rock of some sort...almost looks like basalt in a way. I found this on a beach that gets combed by multiple detectorists DAILY implying it somehow made a recent journey to the location I found it. That's sorta why I thought it might be a meteorite of sorts?

Upvote 0
If you get a campfire so hot it will melt an amber beer bootle the slag looks much like this. I melted a few when I was young and didn't fear man nor beast. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back